* gitweb kinda stopped?
@ 2010-09-10 23:02 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-10 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

The short gitlog seems to have stopped updating?

http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/log/

While the one that shows the messages haven't:

http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/log/?showmsg=1

That's odd.  Is gitweb doing some sort of caching?

* Re: gitweb kinda stopped?
@ 2010-09-22 13:38 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-22 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 01:02:28 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> The short gitlog seems to have stopped updating?
LMI> http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/log/

LMI> While the one that shows the messages haven't:

LMI> http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/log/?showmsg=1

LMI> That's odd.  Is gitweb doing some sort of caching?

We sort of found the solution (cgit leaves lock files lying around) and
I put in a cleanup script, so let me know if you notice stale logs
again.

Ted

* Re: gitweb kinda stopped?
@ 2010-09-22 16:45   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-22 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> We sort of found the solution (cgit leaves lock files lying around) and
> I put in a cleanup script, so let me know if you notice stale logs
> again.

Will do.

* Re: gitweb kinda stopped?
@ 2010-09-22 23:47     ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-09-22 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

BTW, while someone is looking at git, two things:

• It would be helpful for the commit messages to include the number of
  commits in the Subject line, as most other commit scripts do.

• Has anyone worked out the necessary incantation to allow
  gnus-summary-enter-digest-group to automatically convert a typical
  git commit mail into a digest group?  The format has a '^commit '
  header which can be used like an mbox '^From ' header, an 'Author:'
  header for 'From:', and a 'Date:' header.  The first line of the
  commit could be moved into a created Subject: header.  Or not.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: gitweb kinda stopped?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-22 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> • Has anyone worked out the necessary incantation to allow
>   gnus-summary-enter-digest-group to automatically convert a typical
>   git commit mail into a digest group?  The format has a '^commit '
>   header which can be used like an mbox '^From ' header, an 'Author:'
>   header for 'From:', and a 'Date:' header.  The first line of the
>   commit could be moved into a created Subject: header.  Or not.

Are the commit messages regular enough to make this worthwhile?  I mean,
the commit messages from a single project are regular, but is a commit
message from Gnus git likely to be parsed correctly by something that
parses messages from (say) Linux kernel git?

* Re: gitweb kinda stopped?
@ 2010-09-23  7:02         ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-09-23  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Are the commit messages regular enough to make this worthwhile?  I mean,
> the commit messages from a single project are regular, but is a commit
> message from Gnus git likely to be parsed correctly by something that
> parses messages from (say) Linux kernel git?

The format I described, namedly:

commit 0a18e15598274b79ce14342ce0bfb76a87dadb45
Author: Kevin Wells <wellsk40@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Aug 17 17:45:04 2010 -0700

is the default format of git-log(1).  (Commits which are merges will
laso have a Merge: header.)

The --pretty=email format should already be handled as it looks like an
mbox.

The default is --pretty=medium.

The --pretty=full version replaces Date: with Commit: naming the user
who committed the commit. :^)

And --pretty=fuller adds AuthorDate: and CommitDate: headers.

Oh, --pretty=raw is much more machine readable.

Sometimes the commit mail will be a summary.  Mesa does that with big
merge commits; some other projects use thier script.

But other than those summaries, I've only seen the default (--pretty=
medium) used in commit emails.

(Oh, and if the script does not already, it should use the -M -C options
to condense the report of renames and copies.)

-JimC

* Re: gitweb kinda stopped?
@ 2010-09-23 14:43       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-23 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cloos; +Cc: ding

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:47:27 -0400 James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> wrote:

JC> BTW, while someone is looking at git, two things:
JC> • It would be helpful for the commit messages to include the number of
JC>   commits in the Subject line, as most other commit scripts do.

That's reasonable.  I put the trivial change into the repo and will
actually install it when I get a chance tonight.

JC> • Has anyone worked out the necessary incantation to allow
JC>   gnus-summary-enter-digest-group to automatically convert a typical
JC>   git commit mail into a digest group?  The format has a '^commit '
JC>   header which can be used like an mbox '^From ' header, an 'Author:'
JC>   header for 'From:', and a 'Date:' header.  The first line of the
JC>   commit could be moved into a created Subject: header.  Or not.

Not me, I just read the darn things.

Ted

* Re: gitweb kinda stopped?
@ 2010-09-23 16:16           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-23 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> But other than those summaries, I've only seen the default (--pretty=
> medium) used in commit emails.

Right, then it sounds like it would be worth implementing.  nndoc is
really fiddly to work with, though..

* Re: gitweb kinda stopped?
@ 2010-09-23 22:25             ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-09-23 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

LMI> James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:
>> But other than those summaries, I've only seen the default (--pretty=
>> medium) used in commit emails.

LMI> Right, then it sounds like it would be worth implementing.  nndoc is
LMI> really fiddly to work with, though..

Exactly what I concluded when I first gave it a try back around when git
first came on the scene....

I was hoping someone who had already written nndoc defns might find it
eas(y|ier).

-JimC
--

@ 2010-09-23 22:30               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-23 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> I was hoping someone who had already written nndoc defns might find it
> eas(y|ier).

I implemented google digests a few weeks back and almost threw the
computer out the window.

* Re: gitweb kinda stopped?
@ 2010-09-24 10:12         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-24 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:43:56 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:47:27 -0400 James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> wrote:
JC> BTW, while someone is looking at git, two things:
JC> • It would be helpful for the commit messages to include the number of
JC> commits in the Subject line, as most other commit scripts do.

TZ> That's reasonable.  I put the trivial change into the repo and will
TZ> actually install it when I get a chance tonight.

This is done.  The number of changes will show up after the branch
modification message as "=%d=".

Ted