From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Git, ding-cvslog  (gmane.emacs.gnus.cvs), ding-patches (gmane.emacs.gnus.commits)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 06:18:22 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 09:44:03 +0200 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

RS> - "From: www-data ..." is useless.  I want the person who committed
RS>   (pushed?) the change.

Done.

The cvslog post gets moderated because of this changed:

"Your message to ding-cvslog has been delayed, and requires the approval
of the moderators"

so using the real author e-mail will require more work for the
moderator.  We could use the comitter instead to make it less variable
but I think you want the author, right?

RS> - "Subject: [git] Gnus Project branch, master, updated. [some_long_hash]"

RS>   Please show the file names and the "one line summary" when possible.

There can be many files.  Better to just show the one-line summary
(showing just one file when possible creates inconsistent output so I
thought it wasn't optimal).  If you want it otherwise, see below.

RS> - Could the boilerplate text[1] be appended instead of putting it at
RS>   the top of the message?

Done.

RS> What happened to ding-patches (gmane.emacs.gnus.commits)?  No postings
RS> since April 2010.

RS> With CVS, ding-cvslog (gmane.emacs.gnus.cvs) showed only a summary
RS> (e.g. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.cvs/9382) and
RS> ding-patches (gmane.emacs.gnus.commits) included the diff output as
RS> well.

Tell me how you want it to work.  For me the current situation is OK.
The posts get gatewayed to the mailing lists on quimby (listed below)
and I have never needed just the summary.

The changes mentioned above required the standard
git-core/post-receive-email, which I modified and configured so:

[hooks]
        mailinglist = cvslog@quimby.gnus.org,ding-commits@quimby.gnus.org,tzz@lifelogs.com
        emailprefix = "[git] "
        envelopesender = git-logger
        showrev = "git show -C %s; echo"

The modified post-receive hook is under etc/post-receive in Git now.  So
you can look in there and make modifications (list files in the subject,
etc).  I can test and install them into gnus.git/hooks/post-receive on
the server.  We can also put the Git repo config file in the repo
(partially cited above) if you think it's necessary.

Ted