* Documentation of `gnus-bookmark.el'
@ 2008-01-07 20:26 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-01-07 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, ding

[ I'm starting a new thread...]

On Mon, Jan 07 2008, Bastien wrote on info-gnus-english (gnu.emacs.gnus):

> BTW, gnus-bookmark.el has been in the CVS for a while now, but there
> is nothing on it in the Gnus manual.  If people request it, I might
> work on it this month.

This would be great.  :-)

> Some keybindings and menu items would be also great.

I agree.  We has some discussion about this when `gnus-bookmark.el'
was added in 2006:
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/63101/focus=63379>

Could you please summarize which commands should have key bindings?
AFAICS, we need the following (or are there more?):

gnus-summary-set-bookmark        G J S   (traditional: `M b')
gnus-summary-remove-bookmark     G J D   (traditional: `M B')
gnus-bookmark-set                G J s
gnus-bookmark-delete             G J d
gnus-bookmark-jump               G J j
gnus-bookmark-bmenu list         G J m

The `G J ...' bindings are just a suggestion from the top of my head.
Please feel free to suggest others.

From the previous discussion:

,----[ <news:v98xns2cxs.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de> ]
| > Surprisingly enough, `M l' `M j' are still free, both in the Summary
| > and the Group buffers.
|
| I'd rather have a common prefix for all bookmark commands instead of
| occupying two `M ...' bindings.
|
| The rationale to put `gnus-summary-{set,remove}-bookmark' into under
| the `M' prefix might have been that they are similar to marks on
| articles.  But AFAICS (I started to use your functions only yesterday)
|
| Brainstorming...  How about using `G J' as a prefix?  IMHO both in
| Summmary and Group mode, the bookmark commands fit quite good in (info
| "(gnus)Choosing Commands") and (info "(gnus)Foreign Groups")
| (e.g. `gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group', `gnus-group-make-web-group',
| ...).
`----

As for the menu: The traditional commands are under `<Gnus>
<Mark Various>' in the summary buffer.  As we want to unify the
bookmark commands, we could a `<Gnus> <Bookmarks> ...'.  I think it
should be added to group and summary mode.

BTW, shouldn't `gnus-bookmark-delete' be interactive and offer
completing (like `gnus-bookmark-jump')?

Bye, Reiner.

P.S.: I didn't receive any reply to ...
      <http://thread.gmane.org/v93avv5jec.fsf%40marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Documentation of `gnus-bookmark.el'
@ 2008-01-07 21:59 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-07 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: ding

Hi Bastien,

I don't know gnus-bookmark.el, but last week I added a new abstraction
to bookmark.el in emacs CVS head, that allows bookmarks to define the
format of bookmarks and a handler function to open them again.  If you
don't use that already, I think it's worth looking at it.

,----[ C-h v bookmark-make-cell-function RET ]
| bookmark-make-cell-function is a variable defined in `bookmark.el'.
| Its value is
| bookmark-make-cell-for-text-file
|
| Documentation:
| A function that should be called to create the bookmark
| record.  Modes may set this variable buffer-locally to enable
| bookmarking of non-text files like images or pdf documents.
|
| The function will be called with two arguments: ANNOTATION and
| INFO-NODE.  See `bookmark-make-cell-for-text-file' for a
| description.
|
| The returned record may contain a special cons (handler . SOME-FUNCTION)
| which sets the handler function that should be used to open this
| bookmark instead of `bookmark-jump-noselect'.  The handler should
| return an alist like the one that function returns, and (of course)
| should likewise not select the buffer.
`----

The INFO-NODE parameter will go away when I find some time to implement
info bookmarks using this abstraction.  So it's best to use (defun
my-make-cell-function (annotation &rest ignored) ...) to be on the safe
side.

As an example see the bookmark support of doc-view.el and image-mode.el.
(doc-view-bookmark-make-cell, doc-view-bookmark-jump,
image-bookmark-make-cell, image-bookmark-jump)

Bye,
Tassilo