* Not getting new news
@ 2004-05-29 10:01 Jim Marshall
From: Jim Marshall @ 2004-05-29 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I'm running Gnus 5.10.6, with a recentish CVS version of Emacs. I'm
having a problem with getting new articles from my main news server,
easynews.com. For some reason, the discussion groups I read there
don't show any new articles since April 21 when I first
start up Gnus.

There have, of course, been many articles actually posted since then,
and if I do M-g (for "gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic") on either
a group or topic before entering a group, then the message count will
be correctly updated, and upon entering the group, the messages since
April 21 will indeed be displayed. If I then quit Gnus and restart
it, the message counts and displays will again reflect the "April 21"
problem I'm having. Even if I manually save (via "s") before exiting,
upon restarting, there will again be shown the wrong message counts.

I've tried all three values of "gnus-read-active-file" (nil, t, and
'some), to no effect. I've turned off an on "gnus-read-newsrc-file"
and its "save" counterpart. I've tried with the agent enabled and
disabled. I've searched Usenet via Google groups, but haven't found
anything that has helped (this, along with the Gnus manual, is where I
got the idea to try the above).

Does anybody have any idea what might be the problem here? I have
only two servers configured, easynews and gmane, and gmane seems to
be working fine. Easynews is a binary-oriented newsserver, and it may
well be that their "active file" isn't updated often or even
correctly, but shouldn't setting "gnus-read-active-file" to nil get
around even that kind of a problem? I'm really at a loss here, and
hope someone might have at least some things to try.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-05-29 10:01 UTC | newest]