From: Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org>
Subject: Re: External MIME viewers are killed when switching article. Why?
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 14:39:38 -0400	[thread overview]

Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:

> I tried specifying a small wrapper to handle the MIME type which in
> turn spawns the real application in the background, but this doesn't
> work. Apparently, Xemacs, when asked to delete a process, sends
> SIGHUP to _all_ processes in the process group.

Well, you could nohup the application.  You'll also have to make sure
the file it's loading is still there when it's done loading, since
iirc, Gnus will delete the file after the helper-app returns.

Something like

cp $1 $TMPDIR/$1.$$
nohup soffice $TMPDIR/$1.$$

Apathy Club meeting this Friday.  If you want to come, you're not invited.