* adaptive scoring in pgnus 0.96
@ 1999-10-31  1:44 Bud Rogers
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bud Rogers @ 1999-10-31  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the following line in my .gnus, but it doesn't seem to be doing
anything.  I coulda sworn it worked in an earlier version.  Was I
hallucinating?

(setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring '(word line))

--

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>

* Re: adaptive scoring in pgnus 0.96
@ 1999-10-31  2:01 ` Robin S. Socha
From: Robin S. Socha @ 1999-10-31  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net> writes:
> I have the following line in my .gnus, but it doesn't seem to be doing
> anything.  I coulda sworn it worked in an earlier version.  Was I
> hallucinating?  (setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring '(word line))

I don't know what it should do, but I have the following instead (and it
works, too):

;;* SCORE
;;*================================
;;* Scoring away stuff I find boring
(setq   gnus-use-adaptive-scoring t)
(defvar gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist
  '((gnus-unread-mark)
    (gnus-ticked-mark (from 4))
    (gnus-dormant-mark (from 5))
    (gnus-del-mark (from -4) (subject -1))
    (gnus-read-mark (from 1) (subject 1))
    (gnus-expirable-mark (from -1) (subject -1))
    (gnus-killed-mark (from -1) (subject -3))
    (gnus-kill-file-mark)
    (gnus-ancient-mark)
    (gnus-low-score-mark)
    (gnus-catchup-mark (subject -4) (from -1))
    )
  )
;; You may find that your scores have a tendency to grow without bounds,
;; especially if you're using adaptive scoring.  If scores get too big,
;; they lose all meaning--they simply max out and it's difficult to use
;; them in any sensible way.
(setq gnus-decay-scores t)
(defun gnus-decay-score (score)
  "Decay SCORE.
     This is done according to `gnus-score-decay-constant'
     and `gnus-score-decay-scale'."
  (floor
   (- score
      (* (if (< score 0) 1 -1)
	 (min (abs score)
	      (max gnus-score-decay-constant
		   (* (abs score)
		      gnus-score-decay-scale)))))))
--
Robin S. Socha  <http://socha.net/Gnus/>

* Re: adaptive scoring in pgnus 0.96
@ 1999-10-31  2:15   ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1999-10-31  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:

> * Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net> writes:
> > I have the following line in my .gnus, but it doesn't seem to be doing
> > anything.  I coulda sworn it worked in an earlier version.  Was I
> > hallucinating?  (setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring '(word line))
>
> I don't know what it should do, but I have the following instead (and it
> works, too):
>
> ;;* SCORE
> ;;*================================
> ;;* Scoring away stuff I find boring
> (setq   gnus-use-adaptive-scoring t)
> (defvar gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist

OK I don't have any of that, but I thought gnus had some sensible defaults
to get you started...

--

@ 1999-10-31  7:18 ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1999-10-31  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net> writes:

> I have the following line in my .gnus, but it doesn't seem to be doing
> anything.  I coulda sworn it worked in an earlier version.  Was I
> hallucinating?
>
> (setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring '(word line))

I used to have this also, but I think only the line scoring was
applied in this case. I was never bothered enough to look into it, but
now I'm wondering: is there anyone who has line and word adaptive
scoring working in this way?

Hans

* Re: adaptive scoring in pgnus 0.96
@ 1999-10-31 16:01 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-10-31 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged

* Re: adaptive scoring in pgnus 0.96
@ 1999-10-31 17:34   ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1999-10-31 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> * Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>  on Sat, 30 Oct 1999
> | (setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring '(word line))
>
> Adaptive scoring is broken in 0.96, fixed in 0.97.

Perhaps, but I've been using 0.97 pretty much since its release, and I
still have problems getting adaptive scoring on both word and line to
work. In fact, I think I already had this problem since before
Pterodactyl.

I do have (setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring '(word line)) in my .gnus,
and in my ADAPT files scoring rules for authors and subject do appear,
so adaptive scoring works. However, I don't seem to get any scoring on
the words.

I'm not really a lisp expert, but some debugging reveals that no
articel seems to get through this part of the code, because the assq
yields nil.

	(while (setq d (pop data))
		  (when (and
			 (not (gnus-data-pseudo-p d))
			 (setq score
			       (cdr (assq
				     (gnus-data-mark d)
				     gnus-adaptive-word-score-alist))))

I'm not familiar with these innards of Gnus, so I'm not really sure
what is going on here and what should be going on here. The code does
look different for the line scoring just above it, though. Perhaps
someone more in the know could have a look at gnus-score-adaptive in
gnus-score.el.

Hans

* Re: adaptive scoring in pgnus 0.96
@ 1999-11-01  1:38   ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1999-11-01  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> * Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>  on Sat, 30 Oct 1999
> | (setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring '(word line))
>
> Adaptive scoring is broken in 0.96, fixed in 0.97.

Uh, I don't see any difference.

--

@ 1999-11-01 17:20     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-11-01 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover

* Re: adaptive scoring in pgnus 0.96
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-07  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans de Graaff <graaff@xs4all.nl> writes:

> I'm not really a lisp expert, but some debugging reveals that no
> articel seems to get through this part of the code, because the assq
> yields nil.
>
> 	(while (setq d (pop data))
> 		  (when (and
> 			 (not (gnus-data-pseudo-p d))
> 			 (setq score
> 			       (cdr (assq
> 				     (gnus-data-mark d)
> 				     gnus-adaptive-word-score-alist))))

What is `gnus-adaptive-word-score-alist'?

* Re: adaptive scoring in pgnus 0.96
@ 1999-11-07  8:15       ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1999-11-07  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hans de Graaff <graaff@xs4all.nl> writes:
>
> > I'm not really a lisp expert, but some debugging reveals that no
> > articel seems to get through this part of the code, because the assq
> > yields nil.
> >
> > 	(while (setq d (pop data))
> > 		  (when (and
> > 			 (not (gnus-data-pseudo-p d))
> > 			 (setq score
> > 			       (cdr (assq
> > 				     (gnus-data-mark d)
> > 				     gnus-adaptive-word-score-alist))))
>
> What is `gnus-adaptive-word-score-alist'?

Value: ((\,gnus-read-mark . 3) (\,gnus-catchup-mark . -1) (\,gnus-killed-mark . -3) (\,gnus-del-mark . -1))

I've set it in .gnus according to the example in the manual, except
with smaller values. What makes me a bit suspicious now is that the
example of setting gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist sets the marks
without the , in front of them.

Hans

* Re: adaptive scoring in pgnus 0.96
@ 1999-11-07 13:13         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-07 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans de Graaff <graaff@xs4all.nl> writes:

> I've set it in .gnus according to the example in the manual, except
> with smaller values. What makes me a bit suspicious now is that the
> example of setting gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist sets the marks
> without the , in front of them.

I think you must have confused the ` and ' characters.

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: adaptive scoring in pgnus 0.96
@ 1999-11-07 16:47           ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1999-11-07 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hans de Graaff <graaff@xs4all.nl> writes:
>
> > I've set it in .gnus according to the example in the manual, except
> > with smaller values. What makes me a bit suspicious now is that the
> > example of setting gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist sets the marks
> > without the , in front of them.
>
> I think you must have confused the ` and ' characters.

Bingo! That was it. Thanks Kai!

Now adaptive word scoring works, and we'll see how well I really like
it.

One strange thing: initially I could not start gnus because
gnus-read-mark was undefined, even though gnus-xmas appears to have
some kind of provision for this problem (and gnus-xmas was already
loaded). I've now worked around this with a (require 'gnus-sum) just
before using the gnus-read-mark stuff, but perhaps there is a more
elegant way. At least the stuff as advertizes in gnus-xmas doesn't
work.

Hans