From: "Adam Sjøgren" <asjo@koldfront.dk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: summary buffer: wrong temporal order (permanent)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 18:24:09 +0200	[thread overview]

Uwe writes:

>     3. However now, when I enter the INBOX in gnus the message are not
>        properly ordered with respect to their dates.

For performance reasons, I think, Gnus defaults to sorting by number
rather than date, so when you moved various emails out of INBOX and then
back, the ordering got less close to "by date" than usual.

>     4. gnus-summary-sort-by-date solves the issue, however only
>        temporary. So every time I quit gnus and open it again the
>        messages are not correctly ordered.
>
> Anybody has an idea what to do?

I thought you could configure your INBOX group to sort by date by
setting gnus-article-sort-functions to 'gnus-article-sort-by-date in the
group parameters, or globally, but I can't get it to work...

Ah! That's because I have threading turned on - if you have that,
gnus-thread-sort-functions is the variable you want to mess with.

E.g. on INBOX you could press G p to edit the group parameters and then
put:

  ((gnus-thread-sort-functions 'gnus-thread-sort-by-date))

Then press C-c C-c and Bob should be your uncle.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Supposing my writing is strange, that is because          Adam Sjøgren
  I'm not a good writer except Japanese. Malice is     asjo@koldfront.dk