From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: nnvirtual groups and article warping
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 09:28:09 -0800	[thread overview]

Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk> writes:

>     EA> Eric Abrahamsen writes
>
> [...]
>
>     EA> The weird thing, poking into the code, is that no backends seem
>     EA> to implement *-warp-to-article, except nnselect. Doesn't that
>     EA> seem weird?
>
> Err, no? Aside from nnselect and nnvirtual, every article is already in
> its original group so warping should be a no-op.
>
> I added warping early on to nnir simply because nnir was completely
> ephemeral: that is, no changes made would propagate back to the original
> article (i.e. if you wanted to tick an article it wouldn't stick if you
> did so after a search---warping was a hack to deal with that). Now that
> nnselect does everything a regular backend does, there shouldn't be much
> use for warping.

I guess it just struck me as odd that there's a whole backend deffoo for
it, when it's only used in one place. Some of the earlier code commits
mention using it for nndoc, but it looks like that never happened.

> I never used nnvirtual so I never made changes for it.  I see no reason
> NOT to add a warping for nnvirtual which should be straightforward (as
> you describe below).  But I am curious what the use case is?  nnvirtual
> already does (some) propagation back to the originating groups.
>
> (BTW I think the stuff I posted some weeks ago does pretty well at
> replacing nnvirtual in nnselect. I haven't tested it very much but if it
> lacks something I can look into it).

I agree that there's less and less need for nnvirtual, but also that
there's no harm in adding an `nnvirtual-warp-to-article' deffoo, for
completeness' sake.

I was going to bring this up again, regarding full nnvirtual feature
coverage for nnselect: Eric F's original query was about using nnselect
exactly as nnvirtual is used: you add the component groups, put in *no*
specification about which articles to display, and then when you enter
the select group it simply shows you all articles from the component
groups.

(I've never looked closely at the nnvirtual code and I don't know how it
decides which articles to draw from which component groups. If none of
the groups have unread articles, and you request 100 articles from the
virtual group, how does it handle sorting and limiting?)

Anyway, I spent twenty minutes or so trying to come up with a
nnselect-spec that would do this, and failed. If you could point out how
we'd go about this, then I think we could say nnselect has a full
superset of nnvirtual functionality.

Eric