From: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
To: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Any interest in creating an nnfediverse backend?
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 18:41:11 +0200	[thread overview]

> But these all must have their own APIs and protocols, right? I doubt
> it will be possible to write one nnfediverse backend that could serve
> all these different services -- we'd need an nnmastodon,
> nndiaspora... etc.

No, I think they are all just implementations of the ActivityPub W3C
standard.  Of course, each implementation might have a slightly
different interpretation of the standard. ;-)

Anyway, I wonder how usable such a nnfediverse backend would be.  I
mean, for most parts the fediverse is like Twitter and/or Instagram,
i.e., hundreds of small "toots" a day.  Usually, you just scroll through
them in chronological order until you find something interesting.
Having to first open each "toot" from the summary to see its contents in
the article buffer doesn't seem very viable.

Of course, that shouldn't stop anyone from having fun trying to do it
anyway!

Bye,
Tassilo