* Rewrite incoming message text?
@ 2020-09-04 20:16 Christian Barthel
From: Christian Barthel @ 2020-09-04 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I am fetching my email from a POP server with something like
that
   (setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "server"
             :port 995
             :user "$mailaddr"
             ... )))
and I am sorting emails with `nnmail-split-methods'.  Is it
possible to rewrite parts of those mails?

Example: I am often seeing googlegroups with a subject like:

   Subject: [GROUPNAME] email subject text

I'd like to remove the "[GROUPNAME]" string because this email
will be sorted with nnmail-split-methods into the correct group.

--
Christian Barthel <bch@online.de>

* Re: Rewrite incoming message text?
@ 2020-09-04 20:31 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2020-09-04 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Christian writes:

>    Subject: [GROUPNAME] email subject text
>
> I'd like to remove the "[GROUPNAME]" string because this email
> will be sorted with nnmail-split-methods into the correct group.

Not exactly what you are askng for, but perhaps useful:

,----[ C-h v gnus-list-identifiers RET ]
| gnus-list-identifiers is a variable defined in ‘gnus-sum.el’.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| Regexp that matches list identifiers to be removed from subject.
| This can also be a list of regexps.
`----

It won't modify the actual emails, but hides the text.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "That's the whole problem with science. You're got         Adam Sjøgren
  a bunch of empiricists trying to describe things     asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Rewrite incoming message text?
@ 2020-09-05  8:54   ` Christian Barthel
From: Christian Barthel @ 2020-09-05  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Not exactly what you are askng for, but perhaps useful:
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-list-identifiers RET ]
> | gnus-list-identifiers is a variable defined in ‘gnus-sum.el’.
> | Its value is nil
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Regexp that matches list identifiers to be removed from subject.
> | This can also be a list of regexps.
> `----
>
> It won't modify the actual emails, but hides the text.

I knew that Gnus has already a feature to handle this
case but I were not able to find it.  Thanks!

--
Christian Barthel <bch@online.de>