From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: How about gnus-registry-precious-only-p?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:29:38 -0700	[thread overview]

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 09:04:36 -0700 Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> EA> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>> I would go further and never record non-precious messages on exiting the
>>> group, to avoid the extra cycles.
>
> EA> I might be misunderstanding, but with the up-thread patch, non-precious
> EA> messages shouldn't be made in the first place. The only way
>
> I misread the patch. Apologies. Looks great to me.
>
> EA> (Which reminds me, now is the right time to come up with a better name
> EA> for this option. Maybe `gnus-registry-auto-create-entries', defaulted to
> EA> nil?)
>
> Yes, I'd be OK with that. Users may have customized
> `gnus-registry-extra-entries-precious' but I think it's unlikely.

Actually, thinking more about it, your point here is important -- it's
probably best to explicitly check the value of
`gnus-registry-extra-entries-precious'. Also, the good thing about
`gnus-registry-register-message-ids' is that it fully populates the
entries with sender, subject, etc. Relying on other manual functions to
create entries may fail to do that, and that information is important to
have.

I'm leaning towards having `gnus-registry-register-message-ids' do its
thing no matter what, and then deleting the entries when leaving the
*Summary* buffer. If the user adds precious data to any of the entries
while in the summary, they won't be deleted.

How does that sound?