Hi Jorge, Emanuel, and Andreas, Thank you for the replies! "Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo" writes: > I think gnus-article-browse-html-article uses browse-url, you might > want to change the browse-url-browser-function to something like > browse-url-w3. IceCat is probably what the function > browse-url-default-browser thinks is the suitable browser. Yes, that seems to be what's going on. It makes sense! Andreas Schwab writes: > On Jun 05 2018, Chris Marusich wrote: > >> This allows me to view the HTML in an external browser by typing "K H" >> (gnus-article-browse-html-article), which is quite nice. However, when >> I type RET (gnus-article-press-button), it displays the HTML in-line, >> instead of rendering it. > > You can do that with "i" (gnus-article-inline-part). Perfect! I missed this somehow. Thank you for pointing it out to me. Emanuel Berg writes: > Don't forget to post here when and how you (the > OP) finally get it to work! In sum, the configuration I decided to use in the end was the following: * Put "text/html" in the mm-inline-override-type list. Since for me it was empty to begin with, I just did this: (setq mm-inline-override-types '("text/html")) This seems to inhibit the automatic display of HTML parts in all email I receive, no matter where those HTML parts appear. Instead of being displayed, they show up as attachments. Note that I put buttons on ALL my MIME types to begin with (i.e., I set gnus-inhibit-mime-unbuttonizing to t and gnus-buttonized-mime-types to nil), so you might also need to make sure buttons are always shown if you want to duplicate the configuration I have. * I also discourage Gnus from displaying HTML alternatives, which makes it so that Gnus automatically displays the text/plain alternative when the email has text/plain and a text/html alternatives: (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext")) With the above configuration, the following appears (so far) to be true for any email I receive that has an HTML part (regardless of whether it is an alternative part in a multipart/alternative email, or it is the only part in the email): * HTML parts are not displayed automatically. They always show up as a button, and I have to manually press the button (by moving point over it and typing RET) to view it. Even when I do that, the displayed contents are the raw HTML - it is not rendered. * I can render the HTML part in-line by pressing "i" while point is on the button. * I can render the HTML part externally by pressing "K H" while point is on the button. This is pretty much exactly how I wanted it to be, since it allows me to control when Gnus will render the HTML part, and I can prevent Gnus from rendering it until after I have inspected the HTML to verify that nothing obviously crazy is going on. And it's pretty painless. Thank you! -- Chris