* Splitting across IMAP servers
@ 2017-12-13 22:53 Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2017-12-13 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Aloha,

I spent a frustrating half-day fooling with IMAP splitting. The idea is
that I fetch mail from a certain IMAP server, which I'll call /oddball/, but
want it to end up in my IMAP gmail inbox.

After some effort (and finally understanding the exact meaning of the
'nnimap-inbox' variable) I got IMAP splitting to work.

But, alas, imap splitting doesn't seem to work across servers, and
instead of moving the mail from the /oddball/ inbox to the gmail inbox,
gnus creates a new group on the /oddball/ server called
nnimap+imap.gmail.com:INBOX.

Looking at the nnimap code, it's now painfully obvious that this is how
it works. But how to make it work the way I want? I don't have that
figured out yet, and any ideas would be much appreciated. I can only
think of two ways offhand, neither especially brilliant.

1) Create a virtual group combining the gmail inbox and the oddball
   inbox, and forget about splitting altogether.

2) Make some sort of post-hook that goes into the oddball inbox and
   moves all the articles to the gmail inbox (again, forget about
   splitting).

Mahalo,

--
Bob Newell