From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
To: <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: Can I mark a mail as read and expired at the same time?
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:14:49 +0100	[thread overview]

Trevor Murphy <trevor.m.murphy@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> When I mark the mail as expirable with 'E', it does indeed archive in
> the webmail interface.  A/k/a delete from my inbox in Gnus.
>
> However the mail still shows up on the web as unread.  This is
> noticeable in, trivially, the All Mail item.  It's also noticeable, less
> trivially, if I've used a Gmail filter to apply a label to the mail.
>
> In that second case, the Gmail label syncs to an IMAP folder, and Gnus
> still sees the mail as unread in the corresponding folder.  Which is
> annoying and motivated my original question.
>
> Does that make sense?  total-expire, because it lets me use an 'r' or
> 'R' mark on the mail, seems to both mark as read and archive the message
> when I check via webmail.  It just also does too much for my use case.

Yes, it does make sense.  Maybe the solution is to create your own
command that first marks the article as read and then marks it as
expirable?  Something along the lines of

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun esf/mark-read-and-expirable ()
    (interactive)
    (gnus-summary-mark-as-read)
    (gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable 1))
#+end_src

You can then assign this to a key in one of the gnus-summary key
maps.  I've tested this briefly but not with gmail so I don't know if
this does what you want.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.8 + evil 1.0.5