* difficulties finding some messages
@ 2012-11-05  7:43 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-11-05  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm having a weird experience trying to get gnus to display some
messages in nnml. My present main group is "nnml:mail.misc_2012", and if
I ask to enter it, gnus tells me I can see a grand total of 14,394
articles. If I say okay, it takes a while, and then produces a summary
buffer with 11,207 lines in it. Filtering on authors, for instance,
omits some messages that I know are in the group, because I can go to
them by article number, and there they are -- clearly messages that
should have been shown by the author filter.

The weirdness extends to nnir/namazu. If I conduct a namazu search on
the command line for a particular author, I get nine results. If I do
that exact same search via GG in the *Group* buffer, I get five of those
nine results, plus an extra one that has nothing to do with my search
criteria, and didn't appear on the command line. Looking at the command
line results, I can use "j" in the summary buffer to jump to the correct
message, but gnus won't show me those messages otherwise.

What the heck is going on here? Why so many different types of results?
Running "wc -l" in the "misc_2012" directory shows me 14,349, and this
is also the number that appears in the "active" file. 14,394 is the
number in my .newsrc.eld file, and what I'm offered when I ask to see
all messages. 11,207 is apparently what I get when I see "all" messages.

Does anyone know what might be going on? Is there some sort of "reset"
option that will re-sync all the appropriate numbers?

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: difficulties finding some messages
@ 2012-11-05 23:17 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-11-05 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ugh, that group is totally borked. Incoming mail is split into the
correct directory and written to disk, but doesn't appear in the group
and can't be accessed from within gnus. What can I do to just start over
with this group?

@ 2012-11-16  2:08   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-11-16  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Figured it out -- the agent's version of the group had somehow gotten
out of sync with the group itself. Un-agenting my nnml server, deleting
the agent's cache, and then turning it back on solved the problem.

So many things to keep in lockstep...