* flyspell in gnus
@ 2012-05-06 21:12 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-05-06 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have flyspell mode on in new message buffers but flyspell is not
showing "on the fly" mistake hilights like it does in all my other
relevant modes. What do I need to enable? (latest magnus). Pressing f2
which I have bound to flyspell-auto-correct-word correctly shows the
relevant corrections for the word under the cursor despite it not being
hilited.

* Re: flyspell in gnus
@ 2012-05-09 10:16 ` Noorul Islam Kamal Malmiyoda
From: Noorul Islam Kamal Malmiyoda @ 2012-05-09 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have flyspell mode on in new message buffers but flyspell is not
> showing "on the fly" mistake hilights like it does in all my other
> relevant modes. What do I need to enable? (latest magnus). Pressing f2
> which I have bound to flyspell-auto-correct-word correctly shows the
> relevant corrections for the word under the cursor despite it not being
> hilited.

I am using the from git repo and flyspell works for me.

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: flyspell in gnus
@ 2012-05-09 14:02   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-05-09 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Noorul Islam Kamal Malmiyoda <noorul@noorul.com> writes:

> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have flyspell mode on in new message buffers but flyspell is not
>> showing "on the fly" mistake hilights like it does in all my other
>> relevant modes. What do I need to enable? (latest magnus). Pressing f2
>> which I have bound to flyspell-auto-correct-word correctly shows the
>> relevant corrections for the word under the cursor despite it not being
>> hilited.
>>

> I am using the from git repo and flyspell works for me.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Noorul

Good to know. Not working here and I use latest git too. Cant find
anything in my config and the mode line says its on. Pah ;)

* Re: flyspell in gnus
@ 2012-05-09 21:43     ` Sergio Martínez
From: Sergio Martínez @ 2012-05-09 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Noorul Islam Kamal Malmiyoda <noorul@noorul.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have flyspell mode on in new message buffers but flyspell is not
>>> showing "on the fly" mistake hilights like it does in all my other
>>> relevant modes. What do I need to enable? (latest magnus). Pressing f2
>>> which I have bound to flyspell-auto-correct-word correctly shows the
>>> relevant corrections for the word under the cursor despite it not being
>>> hilited.
>>>

>> I am using the from git repo and flyspell works for me.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards
>> Noorul
>>

> Good to know. Not working here and I use latest git too. Cant find
> anything in my config and the mode line says its on. Pah ;)

What's the value of `flyspell-highlight-flag' and
`flyspell-highlight-properties'?

--
Sergio

* Re: flyspell in gnus
@ 2012-08-19 13:05       ` Richard
From: Richard @ 2012-08-19 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sergio Martínez <samf0xb58 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> What's the value of `flyspell-highlight-flag' and
> `flyspell-highlight-properties'?

Its set to t.

HIliting works everywhere else : just not in gnus message buffers. flyspell mode
is on.

* Re: flyspell in gnus
@ 2012-08-20  9:32         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-08-20  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard wrote:
> Sergio Martínez <samf0xb58 <at> gmail.com> writes:

>> What's the value of `flyspell-highlight-flag' and
>> `flyspell-highlight-properties'?

> Its set to t.

> HIliting works everywhere else : just not in gnus message
> buffers. flyspell mode is on.

The value of `flyspell-generic-check-word-predicate' in a
message-mode buffer is `mail-mode-flyspell-verify', isn't it?
This is set in a mail-mode buffer and a message-mode buffer; it
limits flyspell so as to work on only lines that are in a body
and don't begin with `>', `}', `|', or `To:'.  So, it won't work
in quoted lines.  Try this to make flyspell work everywhere in
a message-mode buffer (eval this in a message-mode buffer):

(setq flyspell-generic-check-word-predicate nil)

Otherwise: flyspell uses overlay to highlight words.  If some
hook (message-*-hook, post-command-hook, etc.) kills ovarlays
you won't see incorrect words highlighting.

* Re: flyspell in gnus
@ 2012-08-20 23:58           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-08-20 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Richard wrote:
>> Sergio Martínez <samf0xb58 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> What's the value of `flyspell-highlight-flag' and
>>> `flyspell-highlight-properties'?
>
>> Its set to t.
>
>> HIliting works everywhere else : just not in gnus message
>> buffers. flyspell mode is on.
>
> The value of `flyspell-generic-check-word-predicate' in a
> message-mode buffer is `mail-mode-flyspell-verify', isn't it?

Yes

> This is set in a mail-mode buffer and a message-mode buffer; it
> limits flyspell so as to work on only lines that are in a body
> and don't begin with `>', `}', `|', or `To:'.  So, it won't work
> in quoted lines.  Try this to make flyspell work everywhere in
> a message-mode buffer (eval this in a message-mode buffer):
>
> (setq flyspell-generic-check-word-predicate nil)

I just did "bfore" typing this. No joy.

But it knows the word is wrong as flyspell-auto-correct-word works on
the unhilited mistake.

> Otherwise: flyspell uses overlay to highlight words.  If some
> hook (message-*-hook, post-command-hook, etc.) kills ovarlays
> you won't see incorrect words highlighting.

Hmm, No idea what could be gnus specific then . It works everywhere else
where overlays are used I think (autocomplete stuff).

Thanks for the info.