* Summary sorting
@ 2011-12-01 15:40 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2011-12-01 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I can't find the right sorting method for the summary for my taste. I
want the threads sorted by the date of the last message they contain and
displayed chronologically from top to bottom, ie the thread which
contains the most recent message has to be displayed last.

I tried :
,----
|  C-u M-x gnus-summary-sort-by-date
|  M-x gnus-summary-sort-by-most-recent-date
`----
The sorting rule is ok but the display order is the opposite of what I
want : the thread last replied to is displayed at the beginning of the
summary. And C-u-ing or not C-u changes the sorting method somehow. I
must be missing something obvious but can what I look for be achieved
with the available sort methods ?

Julien.

* Re: Summary sorting
@ 2011-12-01 16:00 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-12-01 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Dec 01 2011, Julien Cubizolles wrote:

> I want the threads sorted by the date of the last message they contain
> and displayed chronologically from top to bottom, ie the thread which
> contains the most recent message has to be displayed last.

(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '((not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)))

--
           Peter

* Re: Summary sorting
@ 2011-12-01 16:58   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-12-01 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: ding

pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) writes:

Hi!

>> I want the threads sorted by the date of the last message they
>> contain and displayed chronologically from top to bottom, ie the
>> thread which contains the most recent message has to be displayed
>> last.
>
> (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '((not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)))

The docs state that you should have at least have
`gnus-thread-sort-by-number' as first item in the list as a fallback.
So use

(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
                                   (not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)))

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Summary sorting
@ 2011-12-07 10:21     ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2011-12-07 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> I want the threads sorted by the date of the last message they
>>> contain and displayed chronologically from top to bottom, ie the
>>> thread which contains the most recent message has to be displayed
>>> last.

> (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
>                                    (not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)))

Thank you, that's what I had tried but it doesn't seem to work:

I have a thread whose first post is from 23/09 and the last one from
01/12. This thread is displayed before (above) a single post from 24/09.

Julien.

* Re: Summary sorting
@ 2011-12-07 17:07       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-12-07 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Dec 07 2011, Julien Cubizolles wrote:

> Thank you, that's what I had tried but it doesn't seem to work:
>
> I have a thread whose first post is from 23/09 and the last one from
> 01/12. This thread is displayed before (above) a single post from 24/09.

Is the thread a gathered thread (the root is missing in the summary
buffer)?

See also
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/78745/focus=79023

--
           Peter

* Re: Summary sorting
@ 2011-12-10 21:59         ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2011-12-10 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) writes:

> On Wed, Dec 07 2011, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
>
>> Thank you, that's what I had tried but it doesn't seem to work:
>>
>> I have a thread whose first post is from 23/09 and the last one from
>> 01/12. This thread is displayed before (above) a single post from 24/09.
>
> Is the thread a gathered thread (the root is missing in the summary
> buffer)?

Yes, it's actually several messages having all the same name that get
gathered. Maybe tweaking the thread gathering parameters would help,
I'll give it a try.