* Mysterious `C y' in Gnus manual sec. 7.4
@ 2010-04-12 19:41 Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-04-12 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

in the Gnus manual, section "7.4 Score File Format", we read:

  [...]
  `orphan'
  [...]

     When you enter the group the first time, you will only see the new
     threads.  You then raise the score of the threads that you find
     interesting (with `I T' or `I S'), and ignore (`C y') the rest.
     Next time you enter the group, you will see new articles in the
     interesting threads, plus any new threads.

What is meant by `C y' here? In the summary, `C' is bound to
`gnus-summary-cancel-article', which doesn't make much sense to me
here...?

Best regards,

  Štěpán

* Re: Mysterious `C y' in Gnus manual sec. 7.4
@ 2010-04-15 21:22 ` Andreas Seltenreich
From: Andreas Seltenreich @ 2010-04-15 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Štěpán Němec; +Cc: ding

Štěpán Němec writes:

> Hello,
>
> in the Gnus manual, section "7.4 Score File Format", we read:
>
>   [...]
>   `orphan'
>   [...]
>
>      When you enter the group the first time, you will only see the new
>      threads.  You then raise the score of the threads that you find
>      interesting (with `I T' or `I S'), and ignore (`C y') the rest.
>      Next time you enter the group, you will see new articles in the
>      interesting threads, plus any new threads.
>

> What is meant by `C y' here? In the summary, `C' is bound to
> `gnus-summary-cancel-article', which doesn't make much sense to me
> here...?

I think Lars meant `c y' here.  I.e., catch up and answer the prompt you
get unless gnus-expert-user is set.  Let's see if I manage to fix the
manual in the new and shiny git repository :-).

regards,
andreas

* Re: Mysterious `C y' in Gnus manual sec. 7.4
@ 2010-04-15 21:57   ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-04-15 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Seltenreich; +Cc: ding, Bill O'Connor

Andreas Seltenreich <andreas+ding@gate450.dyndns.org> writes:

> Štěpán Němec writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> in the Gnus manual, section "7.4 Score File Format", we read:
>>
>>   [...]
>>   `orphan'
>>   [...]
>>
>>      When you enter the group the first time, you will only see the new
>>      threads.  You then raise the score of the threads that you find
>>      interesting (with `I T' or `I S'), and ignore (`C y') the rest.
>>      Next time you enter the group, you will see new articles in the
>>      interesting threads, plus any new threads.
>>

>> What is meant by `C y' here? In the summary, `C' is bound to
>> `gnus-summary-cancel-article', which doesn't make much sense to me
>> here...?
>
> I think Lars meant `c y' here.  I.e., catch up and answer the prompt you
> get unless gnus-expert-user is set.  Let's see if I manage to fix the
> manual in the new and shiny git repository :-).

Ah! That makes sense now, thanks! Actually Bill O'Connor (whom I hereby
added to the Cc: header) replied with a similar explanation,
unfortunately off-list and without mentioning the `y', so it still
didn't feel quite right... ;-)

Thanks again (and good luck with the commit),

  Štěpán