* thread sorting when no References
@ 2008-02-18 17:01 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-02-18 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Gentlemen, it is a ho hum day on say gmane.mail.spam.spamassassin.general
O  3 080218 34||Agnello GeorgeN:spamassassin on VPS ( fedora 7 )
O     1 080218107||Michael ScheidN:
O     1 080218 18||Matus UHLAR - N:
!  2 080218 83||comparity     I:Bayes: What am I missing
!     1 080217 82||comparity     I:
O  4 080218 15||ItsMikeE      I:"Nice girl like to chat" spam
O     1 080218 37||ram           I:
O     2 080218 77||Chris         I:
OA       1 080218 54||ram           I:
But hark, there where I have marked the two messages from comparity,
we see the older message (080217) is nested underneath the newer (080218).
And so reveals a basic flaw of gnus:  messages with
the same subject but no interconnecting references will get listed out
of order. The correct order should be the most inner thread has the
most latest discussion. Here we see gnus tricks the user into clicking
the older message! I didn't mess with the Gnus v5.11 defaults:
$ wget -O - http://jidanni.org/comp/.gnus.el |
grep sort|grep -v '^;'|wc -l
0

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-02-18 17:01 UTC | newest]