From: Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de>
Subject: Re: Spam.el tutorial
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:10:54 +0000	[thread overview]

I like the idea about a tutorial.  Instead of contributing my own
setup (which tries to do the same as Reiner's but probably fails), I'd
like to suggest some scenarios.

* A user who wants to rely only on Emacs, with no external software,
  and doesn't trust statistics.

  I guess this means blacklists and whitelists, mostly.  Maybe BBDB
  comes in, too.  Maybe spam senders are blacklisted whereas ham
  senders are whitelisted.  Not sure how BBDB comes in.  Maybe
  somebody does it.

* Like above but with statistics.

  So that means to use spam-stat.el.  Does it make a difference
  whether one uses nnimap or another backend?

  Incoming spam is put into the nnchoke:spam group.  Not sure whether
  it is useful to do spam training on those articles, suggest a setup.

  False negatives and false positives are sent to spam-stat.el; not
  sure whether they should go through nnchoke:makespam and
  nnchoke:makeham groups or not.  Suggestions?

* Like previous but use an external program for the statistics.  Still
  do it all through Gnus.

* Like previous, but filter incoming mail through the external program
  before Gnus sees it.  (==> spam-use-foo-headers)

I alluded to the problem of which groups to use and how many of them.
I don't have the foggiest, really.  The only reason I know what groups
to use for my setup is that I have a server-side setup (similar to
Reiner's) where it is clear that I must use the groups this setup
uses.

But I still don't know what to do with spam in NNTP groups.

Kai