From: Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de>
Subject: Re: How to use the spam.el package?
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:06:09 +0000	[thread overview]

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003, kai@emptydomain.de wrote:
>>
>> I want spam to be moved to INBOX.spam.  But it doesn't make sense
>> (IMHO) to move messages from INBOX.spam to INBOX.spam.  I see an
>> infloop lurking there.
>
> Nah, we move message by unique article number, not message ID.  The
> new articles that were just moved in are not automatically integrated
> in the loop, so it will end when the old articles are all moved.  It
> should work.  I wouldn't recommend it, but for pure obfuscated fun
> it's hard to beat it.

Okay.  So, it's better to avoid it.  Recall that I have
gnus-spam-process-destinations set to (("^nnimap:"
"nnimap:INBOX.makespam")).  (Made a mistake makespam vs spam there.)

So how do I tell spam.el NOT to apply this rule to the
nnimap:INBOX.makespam group?  Formulating a regexp that matches
everything that "^nnimap:" matches, except "nnimap:INBOX.makespam", is
difficult.

Hm.  Maybe I could set a group parameter on nnimap:INBOX.makespam that
overrides the value with nil?

Or I could put in two entries:

    (("^nnimap:INBOX.makespam$" nil)
     ("^nnimap:" "nnimap:INBOX.makespam"))

If it searches the alist from the beginning and uses the first match,
then it would work.

It's getting a bit complicated.  I'm sure the reason is that I'm doing
something wrong.  I stumbled across this thing within five minutes;
everybody must be having the same issue.  Except, of course, if they
take another path where there is no stumbling block.

Do people put all ham groups in one topic and all spam groups in
another, then use topic parameters on those two topics, to avoid this
problem?

Kai