* How to use the spam.el package?
@ 2003-11-01 20:17 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-11-01 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried several times to configure spam.el for my use.  Finally, I
came up with the outside-Gnus setup that I want to use, and so I gave
spam.el another go.

I'm sending this here to ask whether my configuration looks sane and
to report some findings where the documentation was confusing.

My configuration looks like this:

;; Spam
(setq spam-use-bogofilter-headers t)
(setq spam-split-group "INBOX.spam")
(setq spam-junk-mailgroups (list "nnimap:INBOX.spam" "nnimap:INBOX.makespam"))
(setq gnus-spam-process-newsgroups
      '(("^nnimap:INBOX" nil)))
(setq gnus-spam-process-destinations
      '(("^nnimap:INBOX" "nnimap:INBOX.makespam")))
(spam-initialize)

;; and then:
(setq nnimap-split-fancy '(| (: spam-split) ... "INBOX.misc"))

I'm reading mail from a Cyrus server with the following setup:
Incoming messages are passed through bogofilter before Cyrus sees
them.  There is a cron job which goes through all INBOX.makespam and
INBOX.makeham folders for all users and classifies messages found
there as spam or ham respectively.

So what I want is this: Incoming spam should be split into
nnimap:INBOX.spam.  Hitting M-d on a message should send it to the
nnimap:INBOX.makespam group, where it will be picked up by the Cron
job later.  Also, marking something as ham in a spam group should
result in that message being moved to nnimap:INBOX, I guess.  (There,
nnimap-split-fancy will find it again, and then hopefully won't
consider it spam again.)

Things I found:

* The docs say "First of all, you *must* run the function
  `spam-initialize' to autoload `spam.el' and to install the `spam.el'
  hooks".  In fact, however, it seems that spam-initialize should come
  /last/, not first: its behavior depends on the other variables being
  set.

  I like obscure jokes just as well as the next person, but maybe a
  hint for the uninitiated would be nice?

* I /think/ that spam-split-group should be a naked group name whereas
  all the other variables should be fully qualified group names.  It
  isn't made clear in the documentation.

* The format of gnus-spam-process-newsgroups and
  gnus-spam-process-destinations isn't made clear, neither in info nor
  in C-h v.  I suggest to say something like "this should be a list of
  newsgroup specifications.  Each newsgroup specification has the
  format (REGEXP PROCESSOR)".

  I found out what to do by running M-x customize-variable RET and
  then looking at the resulting Lisp expression, but why not make it
  explicit?

* I wasn't sure that just setting the processor to nil was the right
  thing to do, I was just operating on a hunch that it might work.
  How about making this explicit, too?

* I would also appreciate some tutorial kind of advice, like saying
  for the following common situation, this is how you set the
  variables.  It's difficult to figure out how it all ties together:
  you have to read all of the main node on spam.el and /understand/
  it, too, if you want to configure things.

  I guess there are numerous mistakes in my config, but for the time
  being it works, and the smoke coming from my head is making the room
  foggy.

* How do I tell spam.el that messages from nnimap:INBOX.spam and
  nnimap:INBOX.makespam don't need to be frobbed further?  I'm afraid
  they'll be subjected to gnus-spam-process-destinations...

* I completely ignored the group parameters thing, even though it
  seemed the easiest way to configure stuff.  The reason for doing so
  was that I didn't fancy setting the same spam process destination on
  all my groups.  (I just switched to a new server and haven't
  switched on topics mode, yet.)

I hope that the above stupid questions are useful for something.  I'd
like to promise to help improving the documentation, but what with
real life and a job, my time has been more limited than some months
ago.

Now let me go talk to the Bogofilter folks about setting up the
server-side splitting thing.

Kai