* newbie lost in his headers
@ 2002-10-07 14:58 Pierre-François Gomez
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pierre-François Gomez @ 2002-10-07 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm new to Gnus, but am reading the list for some time now.

I post because i'd like to configure the Message buffer (the one that
shows the content of the message, if i'm right) to show me all the
headers *but* those i specify manually (ie: those that annoy me after
some time...).

Here is my experience :
i first tried showing all of them :
/--
| (setq gnus-show-all-headers t) ; works fine
\--

Now i'd like to hide just the "References:" :
/--
| (setq gnus-show-all-headers t)
| (setq gnus-ignored-headers "^References")
\--

It does nothing at all, still showing me all the headers !

Then i saw something with "ignored-headers" having no effect if
"visible-headers" is set. Maybe its default isn't nil ? Trying to add
this :
/--
| (setq gnus-show-all-headers t)
| (setq gnus-visible-headers nil)
| (setq gnus-ignored-headers "^References")
\--

The "References" fields are still there ! :(

Give it a last try before asking help :
/--
| (setq gnus-ignored-headers "^References")
\--
(that is, removing the first two lines)

I'm falling down to the default (From, Subject, To, Date, Reply-To)...

Now i'm lost :(
Need i specify each header i want visible ? Event if don't already know
of them ?
Is there no way to hide just those i specify ?

Browsing either the Manual, the FAQ or the Message manual doesn't seem
to help.

I also tried tuning things from "M-x customize" -> "gnus-article-headers"
but it didn't help much, and wrote things to ".xemacs/custom.el" while i'm
using ".gnus.el".

I feel this is something really simple but i'm learning Gnus alone, just
with the default documentation, and i just start to see some pieces of
the big Gnus puzzle fitting with some others...

Thanks for your help, and hope i gave you enough information !

ps:
Some other notes about my environment:
- "M-x version" : XEmacs 21.4 (patch 10) "Military Intelligence (RC3 Windows)"
                  [Lucid] (i586-pc-win32) of Thu Oct 03 2002 on TSUNAMI
- "M-x gnus-version" : Gnus v5.8.8
- So i use Gnus inside Xemacs "native" (not cygwin) on Win2k
- after each change in my ~/.gnus.el, i exit both Gnus and Xemacs
  ("à la windows")
- i'm using nnimap as my primary select method

--
  .''`.  Pierre-François Gomez <pf.gomez@free.fr>
 : :' :