From: Dan Christensen <jdc+news@uwo.ca>
Subject: Re: typo in gnus-start.el?
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 20:49:25 -0400	[thread overview]

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
>
>> The current definition of gnus-start.el:gnus-setup-news seems to have
>> a typo that prevents startup in a virgin gnus-directory when you're
>> using an archive server.  If you have an "old" .newsrc.eld, then this
>> bug may be masked that .newsrc.eld's (setq gnus-server-alist...)
>
> Installed. Thanks.
>
> ShengHuo

This fixes some of the problems I was reporting with the archive
server.  Now, if I delete the archive server from my
gnus-server-alist, it is created successfully when Gnus starts, and is
distinct from my (nnfolder "") server.  Moreover, if I exit Gnus, get
rid of the archive server in my .newsrc.eld, set
gnus-message-archive-method to nil, and restart, then all works fine
and no archive server is created.

However, if I do either of:

(setq gnus-message-archive-method (car gnus-secondary-select-methods))
(setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnfolder ""))

(which should be basically the same), then Gnus goes ahead and
creates an archive server for me.  It doesn't use it for outgoing
messages (it correctly uses (nnfolder "")), but it still thinks
it needs to create it for me.  I think this is a bug.

Luckily there is a workaround:  set gnus-message-archive-method to
nil, and then use the variable gnus-outgoing-message-group, which
I just learned about.  (Why are there two ways to save outgoing
messages?  What can the first do that the second can't?)

But I don't think Gnus should create the default archive server if the
user has set gnus-message-archive-method.

--
Dan Christensen
jdc+news@uwo.ca