* aren't virtual groups not updated
@ 2021-04-27  8:41 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-04-27  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

I created a Virtual Group that consists of my actual INBOX (using the
nnimap backend for my gmail acount) and a another group on the same server.

However when I visited that group today, it seems that new messages were
added after I created that group a couple of days ago.

Do I miss something here or do I have to create that group every day or
whenever I receive new messages?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: aren't virtual groups not updated
@ 2021-04-27 16:04 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-04-27 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
>
> I created a Virtual Group that consists of my actual INBOX (using the
> nnimap backend for my gmail acount) and a another group on the same server.
>
> However when I visited that group today, it seems that new messages were
> added after I created that group a couple of days ago.
>
> Do I miss something here or do I have to create that group every day or
> whenever I receive new messages?

At this point I would suggest using nnselect groups rather than
nnvirtual groups for this sort of thing. I think you'll find they work
much more reliably. See the "select groups" section of the Gnus manual.

* Re: aren't virtual groups not updated
@ 2021-04-28 19:45   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-04-28 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "EA" == Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>> Hi
>>
>> I created a Virtual Group that consists of my actual INBOX (using the
>> nnimap backend for my gmail acount) and a another group on the same server.
>>
>> However when I visited that group today, it seems that new messages were
>> added after I created that group a couple of days ago.
>>
>> Do I miss something here or do I have to create that group every day or
>> whenever I receive new messages?

> At this point I would suggest using nnselect groups rather than
> nnvirtual groups for this sort of thing. I think you'll find they work
> much more reliably. See the "select groups" section of the Gnus manual.

No sure I understand, can I do that interactively on the fly as I can do
this with virtual groups?

Do you really mean this
http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_80.html#Select-Methods

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: aren't virtual groups not updated
@ 2021-04-28 19:57     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-04-28 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> At this point I would suggest using nnselect groups rather than
>> nnvirtual groups for this sort of thing. I think you'll find they
>> work much more reliably. See the "select groups" section of the Gnus
>> manual.
>
> No sure I understand, can I do that interactively on the fly as I can do
> this with virtual groups?
>
> Do you really mean this
> http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_80.html#Select-Methods

No, he means (info "(gnus) Selection Groups").

HTH,
Tassilo

* Re: aren't virtual groups not updated
@ 2021-04-28 20:06       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-04-28 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, ding

>>> "TH" == Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>>> At this point I would suggest using nnselect groups rather than
>>> nnvirtual groups for this sort of thing. I think you'll find they
>>> work much more reliably. See the "select groups" section of the Gnus
>>> manual.
>>
>> No sure I understand, can I do that interactively on the fly as I can do
>> this with virtual groups?
>>
>> Do you really mean this
>> http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_80.html#Select-Methods

> No, he means (info "(gnus) Selection Groups").

Well, the latter gives me, and I quote

,----

| 7 Select Methods
| ****************
|
| A “foreign group” is a group not read by the usual (or default) means.
| It could be, for instance, a group from a different NNTP server, it
| could be a virtual group, or it could be your own personal mail group.
|
|    A foreign group (or any group, really) is specified by a “name” and a
| “select method”.  To take the latter first, a select method is a list
| where the first element says what back end to use (e.g., ‘nntp’,
| ‘nnspool’, ‘nnml’) and the second element is the “server name”.  There
| may be additional elements in the select method, where the value may
| have special meaning for the back end in question.
|
|    One could say that a select method defines a “virtual server”—so we
| do just that (*note Server Buffer::).
| ETC ETC
`----

While  the former via the link

,----
| A foreign group is a group not read by the usual (or default) means.
| It could be, for instance, a group from a different NNTP server, it
| could be a virtual group, or it could be your own personal mail group.
|
| A foreign group (or any group, really) is specified by a name and a
| select method. To take the latter first, a select method is a list
| where the first element says what back end to use (e.g., nntp,
| nnspool, nnml) and the second element is the server name. There may be
| additional elements in the select method, where the value may have
| special meaning for the back end in question.
|
| One could say that a select method defines a virtual server—so we do just that (see section Server Buffer).
| ETC ETC
`----

Call me shortsighted but they look identical to me.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: aren't virtual groups not updated
@ 2021-04-28 20:43         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-04-28 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

>> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> Do you really mean this
>>> http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_80.html#Select-Methods

>> No, he means (info "(gnus) Selection Groups").

> Well, the latter gives me, and I quote
>
> ,----
> |
> | 7 Select Methods
> | ****************

For me the latter starts:

   7.7.1 Select Groups
   -------------------

   Gnus provides the “nnselect” method for creating virtual groups composed
   of collections of messages, even when these messages come from groups
   that span multiple servers and backends.  For the most part these
   virtual groups behave like any other group: messages may be threaded,
   marked, moved, deleted, copied, etc.; groups may be ephemeral or
   persistent; groups may be created via ‘gnus-group-make-group’ or browsed
   as foreign via ‘gnus-group-browse-foreign-server’.

Are you using an Emacs/Gnus from before Select Methods were introduced,
by any chance?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Pucker up for heavens sake                                Adam Sjøgren
  There's never been so much at stake"                 asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: aren't virtual groups not updated
@ 2021-04-29  7:41           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-04-29  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Uwe writes:

> For me the latter starts:

>    7.7.1 Select Groups
>    -------------------

>    Gnus provides the “nnselect” method for creating virtual groups composed
>    of collections of messages, even when these messages come from groups
>    that span multiple servers and backends.  For the most part these
>    virtual groups behave like any other group: messages may be threaded,
>    marked, moved, deleted, copied, etc.; groups may be ephemeral or
>    persistent; groups may be created via ‘gnus-group-make-group’ or browsed
>    as foreign via ‘gnus-group-browse-foreign-server’.

> Are you using an Emacs/Gnus from before Select Methods were introduced,
> by any chance?

Thanks, hm I just compiled GNU emacs from git master (ok not now, the
version is from last Sunday) but it seems that my Info system is ah
screwed. Great.

Thanks for the information (I have to check the info system later, very
odd indeed)

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: aren't virtual groups not updated
@ 2021-04-29  7:50         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-04-29  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: ding

>>> Do you really mean this
>>> http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_80.html#Select-Methods
>
>> No, he means (info "(gnus) Selection Groups").
>
> Well, the latter gives me, and I quote
>
> ,----
> |
> | 7 Select Methods
> | ****************
> |
> | A “foreign group” is a group not read by the usual (or default)
> | means.

Hm, well, for me (emacs master), it gives:

7.7.1 Select Groups
-------------------

Gnus provides the “nnselect” method for creating virtual groups composed
of collections of messages, even when these messages come from groups
that span multiple servers and backends.  For the most part these
virtual groups behave like any other group: messages may be threaded,
marked, moved, deleted, copied, etc.; groups may be ephemeral or
persistent; groups may be created via ‘gnus-group-make-group’ or browsed
as foreign via ‘gnus-group-browse-foreign-server’.

So nnselect is a virtual, search-based group, e.g., a new and better
replacement for what has been nnir in previous Gnus versions.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: aren't virtual groups not updated
@ 2021-04-29  8:54             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-04-29  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

> Thanks, hm I just compiled GNU emacs from git master (ok not now, the
> version is from last Sunday) but it seems that my Info system is ah
> screwed. Great.

Maybe you did some custom configuration and forgot about it again?

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "Wow, he just made the international                       Adam Sjøgren
  sign of the doughnut."                               asjo@koldfront.dk