From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: supercite (sc-citation-leader "   ") kill indentation, in a intelligent way
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 10:48:33 +0200	[thread overview]

>>> "DA" == Dmitry Alexandrov <dag@gnui.org> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
>> I use supercite

> ¿Thatʼs a package, that formats citations in mail like that, right:

UB> I use supercite

> If so, let me advise you against using it, and any idiosyncratic citation styles in general.

Right it does, but this particular feature (the prefix UB) I usually
turn off, [1]

I only turn it on if I reply to several messages at once (which I use
from time to time) then it is very very useful.

> Why there should not be? What youʼve just described does not feature
> anything ‘supercite’-specific and translates to Elisp
> straightforwardly. Interpreting your ‘RMS’ as any word (in a sense of
> syntax tables):

> 	(defun oub-mail-unindent (&optional beg end)
> 	  (interactive (when (use-region-p)
> 	                 (list (region-beginning) (region-end))))
> 	  (setq beg (or beg (mail-text-start))
> 	        end (or end (point-max)))
> 	  (save-excursion
> 	    (goto-char end) (forward-line 0)
> 	    (while (<= beg (point))
> 	      (when (looking-at
> 	             (rx (seq (one-or-more (literal sc-citation-leader))
> 	                      (group (zero-or-more word) ">"))))
> 	        (replace-match "\\1" t))
> 	      (forward-line -1))))

Great it works like expected thanks a lot!!!

Regards

Uwe

Footnotes:
[1]  the indent feature I regularly use (and so does RMS) because it
     makes the quotes more visible. Some mail readers have difficulties
     with this intention and that is why I turn it of in newsgroups and
     mailing list, and also want to have the freedom to delete if necessary in ordinary email.