From: Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu>
To: "Adam Sjøgren" <asjo@koldfront.dk>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: How to wide-reply (email) to multiple people?
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2018 14:17:41 +0100	[thread overview]

Le 09/12/2018 à 13h07, Adam Sjøgren a écrit :
> Alexandre writes:
>
>> This is a feature I’ve been using quite much, and I’d like its behavior
>> to be more logical toward redundancy of subjects too.
>
> I guess Gnus should just deduplicate the subjects?
>
> I only tried S V on articles with different subjects, so I didn't notice
> the effect.
>
>> Some (non-standard, I guess) feature I always wanted is true multiple
>> reply for emails: like, multiple message-ids in the in-reply-to,
>
> That's what the spec says:
>
>    The "In-Reply-To:" field may be used to identify the message (or
>    messages) to which the new message is a reply, while the
>    "References:" field may be used to identify a "thread" of
>    conversation.
>
>     - https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt section 3.6.4

Oh wonderful! I must have missed it last time (or forgot it?)

> But Gnus only includes the first marked email in In-Reply-To. That
> sounds like a bug to be, in S V.

Yes.

>> and merging the references of all messages you reply too.
>
> I think S V does that - at least it did in my test.
>
>> The worse that happenned until now is people interpreting it as thread
>> stealing (though I changed the subject, used Was:, and both subjects
>> and messages were mine).
>
> (Why would you want the new article connected to the previous thread, if
> you changed the subject?)

Did you never saw a subject change in the middle of a thread? that way
involved people still see it’s the contitnuation of what they were
speaking about, while people non-involved in the conversation, depending
on the subject, will be able to decide if they’d better ignore it to
focus on the main topic, or join the new thread (that originated from
the first).

But I heard of some clients (gmail…) that had problems wit that.  Like
they use subject instead of in-reply-to and references to build threads…

>> I’d love to begin doing that and then making up some interface within
>> Summary that would display it graph-like like in git :D
>
> I think I've seen something like that decades ago? Yeah:
>
>  · http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_55.html#Tree-Display

How wait indeed that might be used to display a graph… but does it do by
default? I recall tried once successfully (without looking at if it
could display graphs)… but setting gnus-use-trees to t doesn’t change
anything now…  what should I look at?