* Emacs 26.1 and movemail?
@ 2018-06-04 21:58 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2018-06-04 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I’m not sure if this is in gnus or deeper/elsewhere. After I upgraded
to Emacs 26.1, movemail wasn’t working anymore. I guess 26.1 doesn’t
ship with movemail in libexec/… anymore.

I couldn’t easily work out which variable it was, so I just symlinked
/usr/bin/movemail there.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | What is written without effort is in
http://nwalsh.com/            | general read without pleasure.--Samuel
                              | Johnson

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Emacs 26.1 and movemail?
@ 2018-06-04 22:15 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2018-06-04 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Norman writes:

> Hi,
>
> I’m not sure if this is in gnus or deeper/elsewhere. After I upgraded
> to Emacs 26.1, movemail wasn’t working anymore. I guess 26.1 doesn’t
> ship with movemail in libexec/… anymore.

Maybe the second item in this annotated list of changes in Emacs 26.1 is
related:

 · https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/whats-new-in-emacs-26-1

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Although, in a sense, recognizing them as ancient           Adam Sjøgren
  might not necessarily be wrong, it's indeed useless."  asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Emacs 26.1 and movemail?
@ 2018-06-06 14:02   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2018-06-06 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:
> Maybe the second item in this annotated list of changes in Emacs 26.1 is
> related:
>
>  · https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/whats-new-in-emacs-26-1

Yes, I understood why the problem arose; what isn’t clear is what part
of gnus (or what part of some other bit of infrastructure that gnus
relies upon) I need to change. Where does gnus get the “I’ll look in
libexec/… for movemail” config from?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | What is familiar is what we are used
http://nwalsh.com/            | to; and what we are used to is most
                              | difficult to 'Know'—that is, to see as
                              | a problem; that is, to see as strange,
                              | as distant, as 'outside us'.--Nietzsche

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Emacs 26.1 and movemail?
@ 2018-06-06 14:22     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-06-06 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:
>> Maybe the second item in this annotated list of changes in Emacs 26.1 is
>> related:
>>
>>  · https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/whats-new-in-emacs-26-1
>
> Yes, I understood why the problem arose; what isn’t clear is what part
> of gnus (or what part of some other bit of infrastructure that gnus
> relies upon) I need to change. Where does gnus get the “I’ll look in
> libexec/… for movemail” config from?

If the emacs youʼre using was built '--with-mailutils', then movemail
indeeed doesnʼt get installed in libexec. You can in that case specify
the path to the correct movemail binary by customizing

mail-source-movemail-program

to the full path.

The fact that Gnus doesnʼt detect this situation automatically the way
eg rmail does is arguably a bug in gnus.

Robert

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Emacs 26.1 and movemail?
@ 2018-06-06 14:32     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2018-06-06 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Norman writes:

> what isn’t clear is what part of gnus (or what part of some other bit
> of infrastructure that gnus relies upon) I need to change. Where does
> gnus get the “I’ll look in libexec/… for movemail” config from?

It looks like it tries the variable mail-source-movemail-program
(defaults to nil) first, and then looks in exec-directory - in the
function mail-source-movemail found in mail-source.el:

 · http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/gnus/mail-source.el#n689

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Your problem is you've got no common sense."                Adam Sjøgren
 "I've got PLENTY of common sense!                       asjo@koldfront.dk