* Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull
@ 2017-07-27 15:24 Harry Putnam
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-07-27 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've been running versions 26 right along but fell back to 24 a while
back.  Something I was doing then .. and never returned to v 26.  No
particular reason.

I noticed it today and switched back to my version 26 from several weeks
ago.

No problems cropped up.  Things ran just the same in the ways I
usually use gnus when I used the several weeks old v26 as they did in
v24.

I got the idea that I probably needed to update my local git branch of
emacs and update to the latest.  Upon doing so, I hit some kind of
mess with nnimap soon as I started gnus.

It appeared to be unable to access any of my 3 imap servers.  I have
made no changes in .gnus or .emacs so must be changes in the sources
since a few weeks ago... maybe as long as 2 mnths.

First I'll show the messages recorded in \*Messages\* buffer and at
the end include my nnimap setup in ~/.gnus

Just to remind reader, this difference in behavior occured when moving
from a version of v.26 several weeks old to one built from a git pull
on my local emacs branch on 170725.

Here are the messages recorded in \*Messages buffer.
(Soon as gnus finished starting up, this was what appeared):
(wrapped for mail)

  Warning:
  Opening nnimap server on hputnam3...failed: ; Unable to open server
  nnimap+hputnam3 due to: Buffer *nnimap imap.gmail.com nil
  *nntpd**-518461 has no process; Opening nnimap server on
  harrygp3...failed: ; Unable to open server nnimap+harrygp3 due to:
  Buffer *nnimap imap.gmail.com nil *nntpd** has no process; Opening
  nnimap server on hput3fm...failed: ; Unable to open server
  nnimap+hput3fm due to: Buffer *nnimap mail.messagingengine.com nil
  *nntpd** has no process

I entered the server buffer closed the 3 nnimap servers and attempted
to reopen them.  This is what was captured in \*Messages buffer:

(Seems all my certs are failing)

  Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...

  Opening TLS connection to ‘imap.gmail.com’...

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com’...failed

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com --protocols
  ssl3’...failed

  Opening TLS connection to ‘imap.gmail.com’...failed Unable to open
  server nnimap+hputnam3 due to: Buffer *nnimap imap.gmail.com nil
  *nntpd**-296549 has no process

  Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...

  Opening TLS connection to ‘imap.gmail.com’...

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com’...failed

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com --protocols
  ssl3’...failed

  Opening TLS connection to ‘imap.gmail.com’...failed

  Unable to open server nnimap+harrygp3 due to: Buffer *nnimap
  imap.gmail.com nil *nntpd**-191261 has no process

  Opening connection to mail.messagingengine.com via tls...

  Opening TLS connection to ‘mail.messagingengine.com’...

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993
  mail.messagingengine.com’...failed

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 mail.messagingengine.com
  --protocols ssl3’...failed

  Opening TLS connection to ‘mail.messagingengine.com’...failed

  Unable to open server nnimap+hput3fm due to: Buffer *nnimap
  mail.messagingengine.com nil *nntpd**-649751 has no process

nnimap setup in ~/.gnus:

  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
  	                            '(nnimap "hputnam3"
                                    (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                   	     '(nnimap "harrygp3"
   		              (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                   	     '(nnimap "hput3fm"
 		              (nnimap-address "mail.messagingengine.com")))

The above settings worked in a version of emacs from several weeks
ago... maybe as long as 2 mnths ago.

I compiled the git pulled version of 170725 with the same configure
settings:

 ./configure --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=athena --with-imagemagick \
    --with-gnutls=no

And I see in config.log that the compile process apparently added:
     --no-create --no-recursion

This is the same ./configure I've been using for several months or
longer.  The bit `--with-gnustls=no' is due to the inability of the
compile process to find the necessary libs...

That has been a persistent problem on Debian `jessie' even though I do
have some gnutls pkgs installed:

  i A libcurl3-gnutls     - easy-to-use client-side URL transfer libra
  i   libgnutls-deb0-28   - GNU TLS library - main runtime library
  i   libgnutls-openssl27 - GNU TLS library - OpenSSL wrapper
  i A libneon27-gnutls    - HTTP and WebDAV client library (GnuTLS ena

(Perhaps I need something more there)

At any rate using `--with-gnustls=no' has worked for a good while
without problems until now.