From: myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: searching local mail stores
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 16:54:26 -0500	[thread overview]

> myglc2 writes:
>
>> When I said newest I meant development started more recently, but this
>> is not necessarily a good thing.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Since hey both are actively developed, and use xapian (notmuch also
>> supports gmime),
>
> But mu4e is a MUA, right?

While it does look like mu4e 0.9.13 has an experimental MUA, in my
setup, as suggested by the current mu4e doc, mail is sent using ...

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

> I think of notmuch as primarily a search tool. I guess I am slightly
> misaligned here :-)

It seems to me that mu and notmuch are both primarily mail search tools.
Each has a variety of interfaces. Each has an emacs mode, respectively
named "mu4e" and "notmuch emacs interface". So far, so good.

>> I thought the performance would be similar and trying one would be
>> representative of the other.
>
> I didn't even think of using mu4e as a search backend for Gnus. Is
> anyone using it like that?

I would guess not. The mu4e 0.9.13 INFO makes no mention of nnir. The mu
general list has a July 2015 'nnir' post proposing that the notmuch nnir
backend be adapted for mu with no follow-up.

>> Do you use the nnir-integration?
>
> In .gnus I have added:
>
>   (nnir-search-engine notmuch)
>
> in my mail-method ((nnml "")).
>
> I search by going to my email-topic and pressing GG.

Great! I have got to try this.

The big surprise for me, after spending a few days reading about mu and
notmuch, is that you can use notmuch as a gnus search backend. This is
huge! Thank you for pointing it out.

It could be notmuch's best kept "gnus secret". The notmuch emacs page

https://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/

makes no mention of nnir or gnus search. The only mention of gnus is
quite a nice section on how to install and configure gnus-alias.

I looked on the notmuch general news list and found a 'nnir' post in
2013 saying it works great and would be nice to add to the notmuch emacs
tips page. LOL

OTOH, gnus' notmuch INFO section doesn't mention it either. LOL LOL

Many thanks,  - George