* dropping support for old Emacsen (was: master 644d31a 2/2: Replace the usage of an obsolete function in auth-source.el)
       [not found]       ` <b4mziyr989t.fsf@jpl.org>
@ 2015-11-06 15:18         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2015-11-06 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 11:22:22 +0900 Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:

KY> On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 15:03:59 -0500, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Maybe drop Gnus support for Emacs 23.x and old XEmacs too?
>> I think we've had too many of these annoyances over the years.

KY> making Gnus drop old Emacsen is a good idea. Probably dropping Emacs
KY> 23 won't trouble many users. But what is old XEmacs to be? In some
KY> sense, all XEmacsen is old. ;-)

I should note I've brought this up before. Crossposting to the Gnus
mailing list as well. Concretely, the proposal is to support only Emacs
24.x in Gnus. If XEmacs or Emacs 23 support breaks, then users can
submit patches but it won't be a primary focus for the developers.

On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 10:41:16 +0100 David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

DK> I am not in a position to prescribe to Gnus developers how they are
DK> maintaining their software.  Maybe Gnus stopping to support XEmacs 21.4
DK> is the kick in the behind that XEmacs needs for preparing a new "stable"
DK> release rather than face the prospect of having to backport or freeze
DK> Gnus.  But I don't know how receptive to kicks that behind might be
DK> right now.  For most active users, XEmacs 21.4 does not appear to be
DK> more than a practical joke.

Agreed.  Emacs 23.1 is from 2009 so it's similarly outdated though not
as humorous.

Ted

* Re: dropping support for old Emacsen
@ 2015-11-08 15:33           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-11-08 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

>>> "Ted" == Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

   > On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 11:22:22 +0900 Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:
   KY> On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 15:03:59 -0500, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
   >>> Maybe drop Gnus support for Emacs 23.x and old XEmacs too?
   >>> I think we've had too many of these annoyances over the years.

   KY> making Gnus drop old Emacsen is a good idea. Probably dropping Emacs
   KY> 23 won't trouble many users. But what is old XEmacs to be? In some
   KY> sense, all XEmacsen is old. ;-)

I think 21.5.34 should be at least considered not dead...

   > I should note I've brought this up before. Crossposting to the Gnus
   > mailing list as well. Concretely, the proposal is to support only Emacs
   > 24.x in Gnus. If XEmacs or Emacs 23 support breaks, then users can
   > submit patches but it won't be a primary focus for the developers.

   > On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 10:41:16 +0100 David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

   DK> I am not in a position to prescribe to Gnus developers how they
   DK> are maintaining their software. Maybe Gnus stopping to support
   DK> XEmacs 21.4 is the kick in the behind that XEmacs needs for
   DK> preparing a new "stable" release rather than face the prospect of
   DK> having to backport or freeze Gnus. But I don't know how receptive
   DK> to kicks that behind might be right now. For most active users,
   DK> XEmacs 21.4 does not appear to be more than a practical joke.

Sadly enough most debian based distribution still ship it instead of
21.5.34 which is more decent.

* Re: dropping support for old Emacsen
@ 2015-11-08 15:42             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-11-08 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

> Sadly enough most debian based distribution still ship it instead of
> 21.5.34 which is more decent.

But 21.5 is also labeled "Beta" by the XEmacs project:

 * http://xemacs.org/

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Du frågor mig vad kärlek är                                 Adam Sjøgren
  Men jag vet inget om det där"                          asjo@koldfront.dk