* the trinity mailing list and problems with followups
@ 2014-11-11 21:13 Uwe Brauer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-11-11 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

I am subscribed to the trinity mailing  list (kde3 for Ubuntu, debian
suse fedora etc).

Now a typical  header of one of the message is like  this

,----
| From: "Timothy Pearson" <kb9vqf@pearsoncomputing.net>
| Subject: Re: [trinity-users] problem with the pgp key
| To: trinity-users@lists.pearsoncomputing.net
| Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 08:48:28 -0600
`----

So when I use gnus-summary-followup-with-original the message is sent to
the author and CC to the list, and some people complained, they want
just mails sent to the mailing  list. So my question is:

Is (my) gnus mis configured or is the problem the mailing list set up?

thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: the trinity mailing list and problems with followups
@ 2014-11-12 12:29 ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2014-11-12 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
> Hello
>
> I am subscribed to the trinity mailing  list (kde3 for Ubuntu, debian
> suse fedora etc).
>
> Now a typical  header of one of the message is like  this
>
> ,----
> | From: "Timothy Pearson" <kb9vqf@pearsoncomputing.net>
> | Subject: Re: [trinity-users] problem with the pgp key
> | To: trinity-users@lists.pearsoncomputing.net
> | Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 08:48:28 -0600
> `----
>

> So when I use gnus-summary-followup-with-original the message is sent to
> the author and CC to the list, and some people complained, they want
> just mails sent to the mailing  list. So my question is:
>
> Is (my) gnus mis configured or is the problem the mailing list set up?
>
> thanks
>
> Uwe Brauer

I think it depends on what keypress you use to reply. For example I
pressed F on your email in Gnus and the unsent had just ding in the TO:
header.

I can't see any option in my config that would affect this but you never
know with Gnus.

* Re: the trinity mailing list and problems with followups
@ 2014-11-12 14:04 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-11-12 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tuesday, 11 Nov 2014 at 22:13, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am subscribed to the trinity mailing  list (kde3 for Ubuntu, debian
> suse fedora etc).
>
> Now a typical  header of one of the message is like  this
>
> ,----
> | From: "Timothy Pearson" <kb9vqf@pearsoncomputing.net>
> | Subject: Re: [trinity-users] problem with the pgp key
> | To: trinity-users@lists.pearsoncomputing.net
> | Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 08:48:28 -0600
> `----
>

> So when I use gnus-summary-followup-with-original the message is sent to
> the author and CC to the list, and some people complained, they want
> just mails sent to the mailing  list. So my question is:
>
> Is (my) gnus mis configured or is the problem the mailing list set up?

If you compare that email to those that come to me via the gnus mailing
list, the latter includes a Mail-Followup-To: header with a value of
"ding@gnus.org" so maybe the Trinity mailing list should do the same?

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 25.0.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-1a8f9bd

* Re: the trinity mailing list and problems with followups
@ 2014-11-12 21:33 ` Malcolm Purvis
From: Malcolm Purvis @ 2014-11-12 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe> So when I use gnus-summary-followup-with-original the message is
Uwe> sent to the author and CC to the list, and some people complained,
Uwe> they want just mails sent to the mailing list.

The group parameters 'to-address', 'to-list' and 'subscribed' control
which addresses are used when you reply to.  For example, for ding I
have the following group parameters.

("ding-gnus"
 (to-address . "ding@gnus.org")
 (to-list . "ding@gnus.org")
 (subscribed . t)
 (total-expire . t)
 (expiry-target . delete)
 )

Malcolm

--
		     Malcolm Purvis <malcolmp@xemacs.org>

@ 2014-11-13  8:37   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-11-13  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

   Uwe> So when I use gnus-summary-followup-with-original the message is
   Uwe> sent to the author and CC to the list, and some people complained,
   Uwe> they want just mails sent to the mailing list.

   > The group parameters 'to-address', 'to-list' and 'subscribed' control
   > which addresses are used when you reply to.  For example, for ding I
   > have the following group parameters.

   > ("ding-gnus"
   >  (to-address . "ding@gnus.org")
   >  (to-list . "ding@gnus.org")
   >  (subscribed . t)
   >  (total-expire . t)
   >  (expiry-target . delete)
   >  )
thanks this was helpful. I changed the setting and now everything seems
fine.

Uwe