From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Snoozing a message in gnus?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:04:00 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:06:57 +0100 Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

TH> The problem with `gnus-select-group-hook' is that due articles would
TH> become un-snoozed only when selecting the respective group.  And why
TH> should one select a group if it hasn't unread articles?  So the
TH> un-snoozing has to happen globally either periodically in a timer or at
TH> least in `gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook'.

Oh, good point.  Yes.  The registry could update those groups with a
glowing indicator light or something :)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 14:59:38 +0100 asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:

AS> Ted writes:

>> You can't add a header to most backends, especially IMAP, because they
>> don't support article editing.

AS> How do you define "most"?

AS> Isn't nnimap and the special ones (nnvirtual, nnir, nnmairix) the only
AS> ones that don't?

AS> nnmbox, nnbabyl, nnmh, nnmaildir, nnfolder, and nnml all do, right?

Yes. Sorry. I mean nntp and nnimap.  I wrote too quickly.

AS>   Nit picking, as ever,

WHAT!?!??! :)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:49:51 +0100 Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> wrote:

RMK> Snoozing should work on all (probably except nntp as it is read only?)
RMK> backends. But what about the approach which Mailbox is using,
RMK> i.e. moving the messages from the inbox into another folder (called "Later"?), and storing
RMK> metadata (which folder the message is from, when it is due, ...) in the
RMK> registry? The querying of the registry could be timed (every x minutes),
RMK> and when due, the message could be moved back to it's original location.

RMK> The advantage of this approach is that snoozed messages can also be
RMK> checked from other mail programs (I am thinking about an imap backend
RMK> for gmail), although only with missing information on due dates / times.

Erm, gmail is its own beast.  I doubt we can influence its design.  The
best we can do is work around it :)

But as far as moving messages, if Gnus supported Gmail's labels, we
could just apply a "Later" label to the message. It doesn't seem too
hard:
https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap_extensions#access_to_gmail_labels_x-gm-labels

Lars?  Come on, it's a challenge!  I'd actually find this useful for
removing the INBOX label from some messages.  And making Gmail happy is
why we went into this in the first place, right?

Ted