* Re: Folding in article window?
       [not found] <877gig27tf.fsf@krugs.de>
@ 2013-06-03 12:25 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-06-03 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

"Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Hi
>
> I am using notmuch for indexing and searching my emails and I must say I
> really like it's folding of conversations, i.e. folding in the article
> buffer.
>
> Is there something like this possible in gnus?

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking for unfortunately.  Just in
case, does

,----[ C-h v gnus-cited-lines-visible RET ]
| gnus-cited-lines-visible is a variable defined in `gnus-cite.el'.
| Its value is (2 . 2)
| Original value was nil
|
| Documentation:
| The number of lines of hidden cited text to remain visible.
| Or a pair (cons) of numbers which are the number of lines at the top
| and bottom of the text, respectively, to remain visible.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

do what you want?  This does create a button [+] which you can select to
expand the hidden text, sort of unfolding.

In a summary buffer, you do have the option of hiding threads (T H).

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.8 + evil 1.0-dev

* Re: Folding in article window?
@ 2013-06-03 12:45   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-06-03 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> "Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using notmuch for indexing and searching my emails and I must say I
>> really like it's folding of conversations, i.e. folding in the article
>> buffer.
>>
>> Is there something like this possible in gnus?
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you are asking for unfortunately.  Just in
> case, does
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-cited-lines-visible RET ]
> | gnus-cited-lines-visible is a variable defined in `gnus-cite.el'.
> | Its value is (2 . 2)
> | Original value was nil
> |
> | Documentation:
> | The number of lines of hidden cited text to remain visible.
> | Or a pair (cons) of numbers which are the number of lines at the top
> | and bottom of the text, respectively, to remain visible.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> `----
>
> do what you want?  This does create a button [+] which you can select to
> expand the hidden text, sort of unfolding.

This is really useful, but not what I am looking for. I am effectively
looking for what this does, only for a whole thread. Something along the
lines of having a summary buffer showing only one thread (in notmuch see
screenshot [1]), and when I select a single article, it expands the
article *in the summary buffer* [2].

> In a summary buffer, you do have the option of hiding threads (T H).

Yes - very useful indeed.

Thanks,

Rainer

Footnotes:
[1]  http://notmuchmail.org/screenshots/Screenshot-notmuch-thread.png
[2]  http://notmuchmail.org/screenshots/Screenshot-notmuch-show.png

--
Rainer M. Krug

email: RMKrug<at>gmail<dot>com

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Folding in article window?
@ 2013-06-03 13:25     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-06-03 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

[...]

> This is really useful, but not what I am looking for. I am effectively
> looking for what this does, only for a whole thread. Something along the
> lines of having a summary buffer showing only one thread (in notmuch see
> screenshot [1]), and when I select a single article, it expands the
> article *in the summary buffer* [2].

Ah, I see.  You want a combined summary + article view.  Similar to what
you get in gmail, I guess.  I don't think you'll find anything like this
in gnus unfortunately as the various views are completely separate
buffers.  You want an inline expansion of the article within the summary
buffer.

Personally, I prefer the gnus approach in that I can see the thread
structure in the summary window and then each individual article when
desired.  But obviously this is a personal taste issue!

--

@ 2013-06-03 14:04       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-06-03 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>

> [...]
>
>> This is really useful, but not what I am looking for. I am effectively
>> looking for what this does, only for a whole thread. Something along the
>> lines of having a summary buffer showing only one thread (in notmuch see
>> screenshot [1]), and when I select a single article, it expands the
>> article *in the summary buffer* [2].
>
> Ah, I see.  You want a combined summary + article view.  Similar to what
> you get in gmail, I guess.

True - exactly like that.

> I don't think you'll find anything like this
> in gnus unfortunately as the various views are completely separate
> buffers.  You want an inline expansion of the article within the summary
> buffer.

That's a pity, but I can live with that.

> Personally, I prefer the gnus approach in that I can see the thread
> structure in the summary window and then each individual article when
> desired.  But obviously this is a personal taste issue!

I actually don't remember why I was looking for it. But it is most
definitely not a deal breaker to leave gnus.

If I need it, I can always search the message in notmuch.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

--

@ 2013-06-03 17:04       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2013-06-03 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Ah, I see.  You want a combined summary + article view.  Similar to what
> you get in gmail, I guess.

I think this would be very useful in contexts where people do
top-posting (at everybodys work, these days, it seems).

It is kind of "auto-digest a thread and elide the quotations".

If it reordered the emails "oldest first", it would actually make
top-posted threads make sense.

Hey, somebody should make this!

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "[...] but beyond that the Fry household had as much         Adam Sjøgren
  interest or understanding of sport as a potato has of  asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Folding in article window?
@ 2013-06-04  7:50         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-06-04  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

[...]

> If it reordered the emails "oldest first", it would actually make
> top-posted threads make sense.

Yes, that would make sense and it could indeed be useful in ameliorating
the top-posting epidemic!