* new nnir features
@ 2013-03-25 16:56 Andrew Cohen
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2013-03-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Over a year ago I made changes to nnir that I intended to push but never
got around to it. But things have been quiet so here goes. Note that
this is a major re-write and it is quite likely that there are bugs.
I've been using this new version for all this time without incident,
however.

User-visible changes:

1. New function 'gnus-summary-make-nnir-group' allows searching from the
   summary buffer (someone requested this on the mailing list). I
   couldn't come up with a good key-binding so its unbound by
   default.
2. nnir summary buffers now play nice with each other so you can have
   multiple search results simultaneously.
3. Marks should now be correct in nnir summary buffers.
4. Rudimentary support for "permanent" search groups (i.e., not
   ephemeral). These are groups that end up in the .newsrc and will show
   up in the group buffer. The search result is not updated by default
   (since it might be slow depending on the search) but can be updated
   by M-g while point is on the group line.

These changes have led me to modify the way nnir summary buffers are
treated in the window configuration. An nnir summary buffer now sticks
around until you explicitly exit from it (e.g. if you warp to an article
the nnir summary buffer gets buried but not deleted).

Best,
Andy