From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: message splitting gone haywire
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 18:36:36 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:38:56 +0200 asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:

AS> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 15:21:37 -0500, Ted wrote:
>> I could add 'ask, but we're talking potentially hundreds of these
>> prompts during splitting.  Also I don't think a temporary splitting
>> strategy is a good thing because you won't necessarily know where things
>> went if you split 20 minutes later.  Similarly the random choice can
>> cause confusion.

>> I think the only choices available from 'ask should be 'first,
>> 'majority, and 'newest.  Once chosen they should persist until the end
>> of the session, using the Customize system.  The user can save the
>> preference at that point.

AS> Ok, taking my sarcasm voice off again: I think you are trying to make
AS> the system too clever and too magic for the users and the programs own
AS> good. Look at how confused Eric Abrahamsen got by the *intended and
AS> chosen* behaviour!

Heh, scanning through hundreds of messages definitely shuts off my
sarcasm meter.  I think you're right, in any case.

AS> I'd say make the sane choice the default, and don't offer any other
AS> choices until someone a) argues that it is really, really important, and
AS> b) wants to use it.

I thought I wanted 'majority but I'm pretty sure 'newest will do the job
better.  Similarly 'first is not better than 'newest and usually worse.

So, unless someone has objections, I'll make 'newest the default and
only option.

Ted