* weird servers and how to get rid of them
@ 2011-07-13 19:38 lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-13 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

in the server buffer, I'm seeing some server entries that shouldn't be
there:

1     {nnml:archive} (opened)
2     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
3     {nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)
4     {nndiary:} (opened)
5     {nndiary:diary} (opened)

The servers in lines number 2, 3 and 4 are the ones I'd like to get rid
of.  They are not specified in my ~/.gnus.  They can neither be edited,
nor killed.

How do I get rid of them?

* Re: weird servers and how to get rid of them
@ 2011-07-14  6:21 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-07-14  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

Hi Lee,

> in the server buffer, I'm seeing some server entries that shouldn't be
> there:
>

> 1     {nnml:archive} (opened)
> 2     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
> 3     {nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)
> 4     {nndiary:} (opened)
> 5     {nndiary:diary} (opened)
>

> The servers in lines number 2, 3 and 4 are the ones I'd like to get
> rid of.  They are not specified in my ~/.gnus.  They can neither be
> edited, nor killed.

Can't you kill them with `k' (not `C-k')?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: weird servers and how to get rid of them
@ 2011-07-14 19:03   ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-14 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
> Hi Lee,
>
>> in the server buffer, I'm seeing some server entries that shouldn't be
>> there:
>>

>> 1     {nnml:archive} (opened)
>> 2     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>> 3     {nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)
>> 4     {nndiary:} (opened)
>> 5     {nndiary:diary} (opened)
>>

>> The servers in lines number 2, 3 and 4 are the ones I'd like to get
>> rid of.  They are not specified in my ~/.gnus.  They can neither be
>> edited, nor killed.
>
> Can't you kill them with `k' (not `C-k')?

They're read-only:

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Read-only server nndiary:")
|   signal(error ("Read-only server nndiary:"))
|   error("Read-only server %s" "nndiary:")
|   gnus-server-kill-server("nndiary:")
|   call-interactively(gnus-server-kill-server nil nil)
`----

However, number 1 turned out not to work correctly: I found that when
checking for new mail, some (or all) of it was split into groups of the
archive server (number 1) instead of the nnml server which is the native
select method.  There doesn't seem to be a way in the rules for fancy
splitting to specify which server to use.  Things were messed up again,
and I had to restore from the backup, which also got me rid of number 1.

So I can't get nndiary to work --- perhaps it doesn't work because there
are two nndiary servers and gnus is confused about them.  Archiving
doesn't work as it should, either; perhaps it's because gnus cannot
handle several different archive methods at once?