From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Gnus hanging
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 18:58:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>> Because it takes two hours for the connection to time out, I haven't
>> been able to see if it works yet.  If it doesn't work, an alternative
>
> Simpy unplug the network or "sudo ifdown -a"?

Well, I didn't want to have different conditions for testing than for
normal operation.  I had started to write a reply to a question Lars had
sent me in reply to the bug report I had sent and was watching the
connections to the two news servers I'm using and experimenting.

The connection to the news server that doesn't require authentication
(gmane) closes after 15 or 20 minutes or so, and gnus brings it back up
just fine when checking for new news and doesn't hang.  The connection
to the other news server which does require authentication stays for two
hours, and though gnus brings it back up again, gnus will hang.

Who knows, interrupting the network connection may be very different
from a connection closing or timing out normally, perhaps especially so
when authentication is involved.

It seems interesting that gnus hangs when authentication is involved and
doesn't hang when authentication is not involved.  If I kept track
correctly, all the other users reporting this problem have it with
connections that do require authentication (POP3 and IMAP).  Now
remember the message about the TLS error showing up in the *Messages*
buffer: Do you see this message, too?