* Re: gnus: 'active' file for nnml:* getting out of sync
       [not found] <87aau86e5z.fsf@kobe.laptop>
@ 2010-03-16  8:09 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-03-16  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgos Keramidas; +Cc: Didier Verna, ding, emacs-devel

On Tue, Mar 16 2010, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> I have noticed with a relatively recent trunk copy that if I compress
> nnml folders with 'G z' of if I compact the entire nnml server in the
> server buffer, by typing '^', then close and reopen Gnus a few times,
> then new messages are marked as already 'old' ('O' marker) even if they
> just arrived in the particular nnml folder.

Seems like a bug in the nnml compaction feature.  Didier?

> After a bit of digging around I found that '~/Mail/active' does not
> match what nnml thinks is inside the folder.  If there any way to force
> an update of the nnml active file to match the in-memory state of the
> nnml folder?

There are `nnml-generate-nov-databases' and
`nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory'.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Mail Spool") ]
|    If your `nnml' groups and NOV files get totally out of whack, you
| can do a complete update by typing `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases'.
| This command will trawl through the entire `nnml' hierarchy, looking at
| each and every article, so it might take a while to complete.  A better
| interface to this functionality can be found in the server buffer
| (*note Server Commands::).
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus: 'active' file for nnml:* getting out of sync
@ 2010-03-16 13:28   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2010-03-16 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgos Keramidas; +Cc: emacs-devel, ding

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16 2010, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
>> I have noticed with a relatively recent trunk copy that if I compress
>> nnml folders with 'G z' of if I compact the entire nnml server in the
>> server buffer, by typing '^', then close and reopen Gnus a few times,
>> then new messages are marked as already 'old' ('O' marker) even if they
>> just arrived in the particular nnml folder.
>
> Seems like a bug in the nnml compaction feature.  Didier?

Been a while since I touched it (I'm using nnimap now) but I'll try to
look at it.

Giorgos, what do you mean by "new": do you mean unread messages that are
here before compaction, or messages that arrive afterwards ?

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com

* Re: gnus: 'active' file for nnml:* getting out of sync
@ 2010-03-16 20:10     ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2010-03-16 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:28:51 +0100, Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> wrote:
> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 16 2010, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>
>>> I have noticed with a relatively recent trunk copy that if I compress
>>> nnml folders with 'G z' of if I compact the entire nnml server in the
>>> server buffer, by typing '^', then close and reopen Gnus a few times,
>>> then new messages are marked as already 'old' ('O' marker) even if they
>>> just arrived in the particular nnml folder.
>>
>> Seems like a bug in the nnml compaction feature.  Didier?
>
> Been a while since I touched it (I'm using nnimap now) but I'll try to
> look at it.
>
> Giorgos, what do you mean by "new": do you mean unread messages that are
> here before compaction, or messages that arrive afterwards ?

Messages that arrive afterwards.  The steps I have to follow to
reproduce this are:

  1. Compact an nnml folder with 'G z'.
  2. Get new messages with 'g'.

I would expect the newly arrived messages to be marked as '.' when I
enter the folder and not be marked as 'old'.  But they are.