* Filename extension for nnml files?
@ 2009-06-05 14:01 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2009-06-05 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've been using nnml for years. Now I'm using it on Mac and I realize
that if the files were named 'nnnnn.txt' instead of just 'nnnnn' that
they'd be "text files" and would get indexed by Spotlight. Really,
mail is about the only thing I'd ever want Spotlight to index anyway.

It looks like I could also fix this problem by telling the Mac that
files of type 'public.data' (which is what files named 'nnnnn' appear
to be) are mail. But since I don't know what else might turn up as
public.data, I'm a little reluctant to do that.

Thoughts?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | There are infinite possibilities of
http://nwalsh.com/            | error, and more cranks take up
                              | unfashionable untruths than
                              | unfashionable truths.--Bertrand Russell

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 185 bytes --]

* Re: Filename extension for nnml files?
@ 2009-06-05 14:53 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-06-05 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
> I've been using nnml for years. Now I'm using it on Mac and I realize
> that if the files were named 'nnnnn.txt' instead of just 'nnnnn' that
> they'd be "text files" and would get indexed by Spotlight. Really,
> mail is about the only thing I'd ever want Spotlight to index anyway.

There's no need to rename the files, since OS X also has the notion of a
file type, which is independent of the extension. You can set the type
on the command line using 'SetFile', which I think is part of the XCode
developer tools. Just do

SetFile -t TEXT <filename>

to set a file type to plain text. You can then import the file into
Spotlight by using 'mdimport' on the file.

But I also just found this here

http://www.yoshidam.net/diary/Spotlight/

which seems to be exactly what you want. Never tested this, though. I
use mairix. ;-)

-David

* Re: Filename extension for nnml files?
@ 2009-06-05 16:53 ` Andreas Seltenreich
From: Andreas Seltenreich @ 2009-06-05 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: ding