From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Exchange server Calendar folder analysis
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:58:23 +0200	[thread overview]

>>>>> Bjørn Mork <bmork@dod.no>:

> You do know they document this stuff?

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa579778(EXCHG.80).aspx

What I didn't know is if these headers are part of the neccessary magic
to make things work.

And I still don't.  Only experimentation can determine that.

> Don't know if this will work.  If you need to modify the messages, I
> guess the proper way is to use WebDAV.  It has a PROPPATCH method that
> will allow you to modify properties of existing objects.   Microsoft's
> documentation:

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa493854(EXCHG.80).aspx

Yeah.  But Gnus already has IMAP support, but not WebDAV support (at
least not readily available.  google found me eldav, but I don't know
anything about it beyond that).

But if the contents of the calendar are exposed as properties in WebDAV,
that's interesting.  Because then it shouldn't be too hard to change a
meeting state in the published calendar (ie. not require reading heaps
of specs to be able to do so).

> But it will of course be a lot easier to integrate it into Gnus if
> replacing the message using IMAP works.  Looking forward to the results
> of your experiments :-)

If I get around to doing those experiments, I'll post the results here.

> AFAIK, other applcations integrating with Exchange, like Evolution, use
> WebDAV for things like this.   There's probably a reason....

Yes.  But Evolution using the exchange WebDAV-backend is completely
unusable, which is why I stopped using it, and went back to using Gnus.

Evolution using imap to talk to the Exchange server can't do calendars,
and is still big and slow.  Using WebDAV to read email is a really bad
idea, so why they didn't separate the two is beyond me...