* Overriding a part of message-id when posting // suppress user-agent
@ 2006-06-27  5:44 Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2006-06-27  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

i want to override a part of the message id when posting in a specific
newsgroup. So far i use the code copied below. But that does not work. I
can't figure out why. Additionally i want to suppress the generation of
the user-agent only in this group. Adding (User-Agent nil) to the group
parameters also does not suppress the header.

Best wishes,
Christoph

(add-to-list 'gnus-newsgroup-variables
             'mid-identifiable-part)

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
         (eval (setq mid-identifiable-part "@ID-24456.user.uni-berlin.de"))

(eval-after-load "nnmail"
  '(defun nnmail-message-id ()
     (concat "<" (message-unique-id) mid-identifiable-part ">")))

(eval-after-load "message"
  '(defun message-make-message-id ()
     (concat "<" (message-unique-id) mid-identifiable-part ">")))

Additionally in the group parameters of the newsgroup:

((timestamp 17568 50471)
 (posting-style
  (eval
   (setq mid-identifiable-part "@879879879898z.de"))))

* Re: Overriding a part of message-id when posting // suppress user-agent
@ 2006-06-27  7:56 ` Andreas Seltenreich
From: Andreas Seltenreich @ 2006-06-27  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Conrad <nospam@spamgourmet.com> writes:

> i want to override a part of the message id when posting in a specific
> newsgroup. So far i use the code copied below. But that does not work. I
> can't figure out why.

While I didn't debug what's going wrong with your customization, I
think you can achieve that in a less invasive way by setting
message-user-fqdn.

> Additionally i want to suppress the generation of
> the user-agent only in this group. Adding (User-Agent nil) to the group
> parameters also does not suppress the header.

Setting gnus-user-agent to nil seems to do this.  So, does the
following work for you?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 221 bytes --]

regards,
andreas

* Re: Overriding a part of message-id when posting // suppress user-agent
@ 2006-06-27  8:22   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2006-06-27  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Andreas,

> So, does the following work for you?

The code works wonderful! Thank you!

Best wishes,
Christoph

* Re: Overriding a part of message-id when posting // suppress user-agent
@ 2006-06-27  8:25 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-06-27  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 27 2006, Christoph Conrad wrote:

> Additionally i want to suppress the generation of the user-agent
> only in this group. Adding (User-Agent nil) to the group parameters
> also does not suppress the header.

Does removing User-Agent from `message-required-news-headers' and/or
`message-required-mail-headers' work?

> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>       '((".*"
>          (eval (setq mid-identifiable-part "@ID-24456.user.uni-berlin.de"))
[...]
> (eval-after-load "message"
>   '(defun message-make-message-id ()
>      (concat "<" (message-unique-id) mid-identifiable-part ">")))

What's wrong with `message-user-fqdn'?

,----[ (info "(message)News Headers") ]
| `Message-ID'
|      This required header will be generated by Message.  A unique ID
|      will be created based on the date, time, user name (for the local
|      part) and the domain part.  For the domain part, message will look
|      (in this order) at `message-user-fqdn', `system-name',
|      `mail-host-address' and `message-user-mail-address' (i.e.
|      `user-mail-address') until a probably valid fully qualified domain
|      name (FQDN) was found.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Overriding a part of message-id when posting // suppress user-agent
@ 2006-06-27  8:42   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2006-06-27  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Reiner,

> Does removing User-Agent from `message-required-news-headers' and/or
> `message-required-mail-headers' work?

Probably this will work - i don't try it, cause Andreas solution in
<87psgvav6m.fsf@gate450.dyndns.org> works very good.

> What's wrong with `message-user-fqdn'?

I did not know about that variable, but now i use it. It solves my
problem.

Freundliche Grüße,
Christoph