From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Crash on startup with recent gnus-agent.el patch
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:01:11 +0200	[thread overview]

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> These changes:
>
>> 2006-05-30  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>
>
>> 	* gnus-agent.el (directory-files-and-attributes): Move forward.
>
>> 2006-05-29  Kevin Greiner  <kevin.greiner@compsol.cc>
>
>> 	* gnus-agent.el (Added gnus-agent-flush*) to purge agent info.
>> 	(gnus-agent-read-agentview): Fixed handling of end-of-file error.
>> 	(gnus-agent-read-local): All symbols allocated in my-obarray
>> 	(gnus-agent-set-local): Skip invalid entries (min and/or max is nil).
>> 	(gnus-agent-regenerate-group): Check numeric names to see if they are
>> 	messages or groups.
>> 	(gnus-agent-total-fetched-for): Ignore 'dummy.group' (there should be a
>> 	better way of do this...)
>
>> appear to cause problems for me when I start Gnus, I get the backtrace
>> below.  If I revert to 7.57 of gnus-agent.el, it works.
>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Opening directory" "no such file or directory" "/home/jas/News/agent/nntp/news.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.techspec")
>
> The gmane.ietf.techspec group was created recently, wasn't it?

No, not really, the group didn't exist in the local Agent cache.  Not
all groups will exist locally, so code cannot assume they can access
the agent cache for all groups (or it should create the directory when
it needs it).  I didn't look at the code changes, so I don't know what
it does, nor what is intended...

> I got a similar error and reported it in this list[1] a moment
> ago together with a way to reproduce that error.  A workaround I
> tried is to remove an entry of the group in question from the
> ~/.newsrc.eld file.

It happened to a lot of groups for me, so it isn't a good workaround.
Reverting to 7.57 solves it though.