* nnweb, gmane search and google groups
@ 2006-02-08 14:02 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2006-02-08 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Group,
I've seen recent posts indicating it is possible to do gmane and
google groups searches with gnus.  I haven't done anything like this
since the dejanews days.

Can someone or ones post some examples of how this is done including a
few example search strings?

* Re: nnweb, gmane search and google groups
@ 2006-02-08 15:43 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-02-08 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 08 2006, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I've seen recent posts indicating it is possible to do gmane and
> google groups searches with gnus.

Gmane doesn't work yet.  But it seems that Andreas already has
prepared a patch for it. :-)

,----[ (info "(gnus)Foreign Groups") ]
| `G w'
|      Make an ephemeral group based on a web search
|      (`gnus-group-make-web-group').  If you give a prefix to this
|      command, make a solid group instead.  You will be prompted for the
|      search engine type and the search string.  Valid search engine
|      types include `google', `dejanews', and `gmane'.  *Note Web
|      Searches::.
|
|      If you use the `google' search engine, you can limit the search to
|      a particular group by using a match string like `shaving
|      group:alt.sysadmin.recovery'.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: nnweb, gmane search and google groups
@ 2006-02-08 20:32   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2006-02-08 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Can someone or ones post some examples of how this is done including
>> a few example search strings?
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Foreign Groups") ]
> | `G w'
> |      Make an ephemeral group based on a web search
> |      (`gnus-group-make-web-group').  If you give a prefix to this
> |      command, make a solid group instead.  You will be prompted for the
> |      search engine type and the search string.  Valid search engine
> |      types include `google', `dejanews', and `gmane'.  *Note Web
> |      Searches::.
> |
> |      If you use the `google' search engine, you can limit the search to
> |      a particular group by using a match string like `shaving
> |      group:alt.sysadmin.recovery'.
> `----

None of that works for me.  Thats why I asked for examples.

I always get an error no matching groups.  Even on known
match strings I mean.
debugger output futher along.

Using gmane I get a bunch of suedo articles that are really all the
links on the lead page of gmane.  Something like:

G w google "example zone files"  returns:
 ( know you said gmane wasn't working yet....)
  1 . 31-Dec [   0: nobody              ] ()
  1 . 31-Dec [   0: nobody              ] () Home</a><br>
  1 . 31-Dec [   0: nobody              ] () Reading</a><br>
  1 . 31-Dec [   0: nobody              ] () Searching</a><br>
  1 . 31-Dec [   0: nobody              ] () Subscribe</a><br>
[...]

Going to the second hit on nnweb using index search I find a little more
info, in particular:

   You must have the `url' and `W3' package or those alternatives (try
  `customize-group' on the `mm-url' variable group) installed to be able
   to use `nnweb'.

Looking at that I guess I need to toggle it on and set w3m.  I changed
over to w3m a while back for viewing html articles.

Looking up the suggested variable to customize I toggled it on and set
to w3m saved for future.

Now trying nneb I get:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Couldn't request group: No matching articles")
  signal(error ("Couldn't request group: No matching articles"))
  error("Couldn't request group: %s" "No matching articles")
  gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group("87vevpr3xl.fsf" (nnweb "87vevpr3xl.fsf" (nnweb-search "\"zone files\"") (nnweb-type google) (nnweb-ephemeral-p t)) t (#<buffer *Group*> . group))
  gnus-group-make-web-group(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-make-web-group)

* Re: nnweb, gmane search and google groups
@ 2006-02-09  4:51     ` Andreas Seltenreich
From: Andreas Seltenreich @ 2006-02-09  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam writes:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>

>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Foreign Groups") ]
>> | `G w'
>> |      Make an ephemeral group based on a web search

[...]

> None of that works for me.  Thats why I asked for examples.
>
> I always get an error no matching groups.  Even on known
> match strings I mean.
> debugger output futher along.

Which version of Gnus are trying with? Since the google part has been
fixed only recently, you'll need a version from CVS newer than
2006-02-03 (either trunk or the v5-10-6 branch (AFAIK)). You could
also download the latest version of nnweb.el from here:

<http://quimby.gnus.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gnus/lisp/nnweb.el?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain>

...and make sure it gets used instead of the old one.

> Going to the second hit on nnweb using index search I find a little more
> info, in particular:
>
>    You must have the `url' and `W3' package or those alternatives (try
>   `customize-group' on the `mm-url' variable group) installed to be able
>    to use `nnweb'.
>
> Looking at that I guess I need to toggle it on and set w3m.  I changed
> over to w3m a while back for viewing html articles.

The fact that you saw some random content of http://gmane.org in the
summary buffer suggests that the http part of your setup is working
correctly.

regards,
Andreas