* RSS no-go in current CVS gnus
@ 2005-01-19 12:17 Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2005-01-19 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

the RSS/RDF stuff doesn't appear to work for me, I'm not getting
subjects or titles in the posts, just a blue "link" text. Not too
useful...  FWIW, I've tried

http://download.freshmeat.net/backend/fm.rdf
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/heise.rdf

Help will be appreciated.

Kind regards,

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: RSS no-go in current CVS gnus
@ 2005-01-19 23:00 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-01-19 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> the RSS/RDF stuff doesn't appear to work for me, I'm not getting
> subjects or titles in the posts, just a blue "link" text. Not too
> useful...  FWIW, I've tried

> http://download.freshmeat.net/backend/fm.rdf
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/heise.rdf

> Help will be appreciated.

I could reproduce the same trouble using the version of xml.el
bundled with Emacs 21.3.  I'm not familiar with it but I think
it might not be enough for parsing some xml contents.  Could you
try the latest one?  I've confirmed it can be used with Emacs
21.3 as well and works fine.  Here it is:

ftp://ftp.jpl.org/pub/tmp/xml.el-1.44
or http://www.jpl.org/ftp/pub/tmp/xml.el-1.44

* Re: RSS no-go in current CVS gnus
@ 2005-01-19 23:47   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2005-01-19 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matthias Andree, ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> I could reproduce the same trouble using the version of xml.el
> bundled with Emacs 21.3.  I'm not familiar with it but I think
> it might not be enough for parsing some xml contents.  Could you
> try the latest one?  I've confirmed it can be used with Emacs
> 21.3 as well and works fine.  Here it is:
>
> ftp://ftp.jpl.org/pub/tmp/xml.el-1.44
> or http://www.jpl.org/ftp/pub/tmp/xml.el-1.44

That did the trick, thank you!

Is it worthwhile letting Gnus complain if xml.el is too old?

(I'll have to tweak the display formats a bit, the "nobody" takes up a
lot screen real estate without conveying information, but the info file
has some information on this.)

--

@ 2005-01-19 23:56     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-01-19 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> I'm not familiar with it but I think it might not be enough for
>> parsing some xml contents.  Could you try the latest one?

> That did the trick, thank you!

> Is it worthwhile letting Gnus complain if xml.el is too old?

Oops, I'm very sorry for that.  I noticed the problem is caused
by my bogus change, not by xml.el.

2004-12-26  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>
[...]
	(nnrss-find-el): Make it work with old xml.el as well.

I forgot what ``old xml.el'' means but I'm looking into it...

* Re: RSS no-go in current CVS gnus
@ 2005-01-20  1:06       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-01-20  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Oops, I'm very sorry for that.  I noticed the problem is caused
> by my bogus change, not by xml.el.

> 2004-12-26  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>
> [...]
> 	(nnrss-find-el): Make it work with old xml.el as well.

> I forgot what ``old xml.el'' means but I'm looking into it...

I remembered some version of xml.el parses xml forms as like:

(title nil ("freshmeat.net" ...))

rather than:

(title nil "freshmeat.net")

Though I forgot which version of xml.el did so.  Anyway, I've
fixed the function in question in the Gnus CVS trunk.  I must
apologize to all nnrss users but please use the latest Gnus.

P.S. There seems to be no problem to use the latest xml.el even
if one bundled with the released Emacs 21.x can also be used now.

* Re: RSS no-go in current CVS gnus
@ 2005-01-20 16:31         ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-01-20 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matthias Andree, ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> I must apologize to all nnrss users but please use the latest Gnus.

Does this mean the nnrss that will be shipped with the next Emacs
release is useless?

* Re: RSS no-go in current CVS gnus
@ 2005-01-20 23:11           ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-01-20 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matthias Andree, ding

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> I must apologize to all nnrss users but please use the latest Gnus.

> Does this mean the nnrss that will be shipped with the next Emacs
> release is useless?

No, I don't think so.  It is useful for people who use ASCII
text and possibly for people who don't mind a little destruction
of Latin text (the later will be able to be helped by setting
charset group parameters, though).

The changes Tsuyoshi AKIHO and I have made in No Gnus was to
have made it work with multilingual text.  Although it is good
if new nnrss.el can be put in new Emacs, it has to be stable.
Time for ripening will be simply necessary for it.