* Low-scoring articles no longer marked as read
@ 2004-11-15 19:27 Andrew A. Raines
From: Andrew A. Raines @ 2004-11-15 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I updated my CVS copy of Gnus a couple days ago.  Now when
entering my spam group (I'm not using any of Gnus'
built-in spam facilities), I don't get `Y'-marked
articles.  Instead I get `-' like get this:

  -  02:00   10:[Kristi Winston   ] Need some new material guys..free trial
  -  03:33    9:[Wilbert Gilmore  ] As seen on Today Show - Rolex Replicas
  -  03:03   28:[Lane Peoples     ] Re: Mrtgage request on: Thur, 11/11/04
  -  12:06   52:[Nicolas Knight   ] 123 Get Vic0din here now.
  -  03:34   40:[Bobby            ] Looking for a promotion?  Save your company thousands!
  -  08:01  189:[Vicodin&More Phar] IMPORTANT: Info about your order
  -  10:06   59:[Tina Barrera     ] Now it was possible
  -  11:27   51:[Barbra Lam       ] what's on tv - november 19th
  -  11:39   24:[Hope Baldwin     ] Fuel Tax increase - article from november 1st
  -  14:00   19:[Anthony          ] Get Discount V1AGRA without prescription!

This `-' mark doesn't render them read either. I looked in
the manual, and found this:

   "Marking as read"
        You will probably want to mark articles that have
        scores below a certain number as read.  This is
        most easily achieved by putting the following in
        your `all.SCORE' file:
             ((mark -100))
        You may also consider doing something similar with
        `expunge'.

However, following the recommendation doesn't fix the
problem.  Do I need to do something to get Gnus to reread
the SCORE files other than just entering a group?  Is
there something else wrong?

Thanks.
--
    aaraines@pobox.com (Andrew A. Raines)

* Re: Low-scoring articles no longer marked as read
@ 2004-11-15 20:09 ` Emily Jackson
From: Emily Jackson @ 2004-11-15 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:27:15 -0600
"Andrew A. Raines" <aaraines@pobox.com> wrote:

> I updated my CVS copy of Gnus a couple days ago.  Now when
> entering my spam group (I'm not using any of Gnus'
> built-in spam facilities), I don't get `Y'-marked
> articles.

I'm having a similar problem (after updating Gnus from CVS) with
adaptive scoring and articles that are supposed to be marked "Y". When I
first start Gnus, scoring works normally and articles are marked "Y".
However, when I re-visit the Group buffer (to check for new messages,
for instance) and then re-open a news group, articles that should be
marked "Y" are not marked and are treated as unread instead of read.
Restarting Gnus doesn't help.

Emily

--
"If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
Emily Jackson

* Re: Low-scoring articles no longer marked as read
@ 2004-11-16 18:26   ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2004-11-16 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emily Jackson <m5computing@earthlink.net> writes:

> I'm having a similar problem (after updating Gnus from CVS) with
> adaptive scoring and articles that are supposed to be marked "Y". When I
> first start Gnus, scoring works normally and articles are marked "Y".
> However, when I re-visit the Group buffer (to check for new messages,
> for instance) and then re-open a news group, articles that should be
> marked "Y" are not marked and are treated as unread instead of read.

See the other thread, it's because global variables now get reset as a
side effect of a change to `gnus-summary-clear-local-variables'.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | Don't forget to breathe, and
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | pay before you leave.

* Re: Low-scoring articles no longer marked as read
@ 2004-11-17  4:39     ` Stefan Wiens
From: Stefan Wiens @ 2004-11-17  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> See the other thread, it's because global variables now get reset as a
> side effect of a change to `gnus-summary-clear-local-variables'.

When I first reported `gnus-summary-clear-local-variables' as an
effective no-op I was not aware of the fact that it has been a no-op
for many years. See <87vfesg14j.fsf@xenon.eswe.dyndns.org> in
gnus.gnus-bug (bugs at gnus.org).

`gnus-summary-clear-local-variables' is most probably unnecessary and
should be entirely removed.

* Re: Low-scoring articles no longer marked as read
@ 2004-11-18  7:09       ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2004-11-18  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Wiens <s.wi@gmx.net> writes:

> `gnus-summary-clear-local-variables' is most probably unnecessary and
> should be entirely removed.

Agreed, the GC bug it's supposed to workaround was probably fixed long
ago and even if it hasn't, we don't lose anything by removing this hack
since it never actually worked.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | It was fourteen degrees below
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | on a screeching march 23.