From: (Chris Beggy ) news@kippona.com
Subject: Re: X-mas wish: VCAL?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 10:28:48 -0500	[thread overview]

Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel Janík) writes:

> I have a lot of people around me who really like Gnus and Emacs. The only
> thing now which prevents from moving them to E/G is, that they use
> Outlook's calendar via e-mail (VCAL). Is there anyone who is willing to
> write VCAL parser as an frontend to GNU Emacs Calendar/diary or something
> similar?

Could you explain what happens here?  Is it something like:

     Central Organization Calendar
     Running on Outlook

     newly entered calendar entries are sent out
     to Pavel Janik on 12/20 in
     VCAL format

     Pavel Janik opens his VCAL email in
     Outlook, and authorizes the entries to
     be entered into his local Outlook calendar

     Pavel Janik makes calendar entries in his
     local calendar, which are sent out to the
     Central Organization calendar as VCAL email.

How is VCAL different from iCal, which I think was a Netscape
calendaring standard?

Is there a GPL calendaring standard, maybe from phpgroupware,
which Emacs can support?  That way, the problem becomes a VCAL to
gnuCAL translator.  The advantage of this is that people can
continue to communicate and share calendars in gnuCAL during the
times when MS periodically breaks VCAL.

On the other hand, maybe Emacs calendar is the standard and a
straight VCAL translator/generator is all that's needed.

Chris