* startup file and upgrading
@ 1999-02-07 16:41 hubert.fauque
From: hubert.fauque @ 1999-02-07 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

After upgrading to 0.75 (from semi-gnus) I have had
a problem: gnus stopped with the error
void function: gnus-truncate-string

that was surprising since there is no gnus-truncate-string
in 0.75; I have traced the problem to the .newsrc.eld
file which saved the old value (from semi-gnus) of
gnus-format-specs and restores it at startup;
maybe this problem is older because the value
of gnus-format-specs seems different from the one
of semi-gnus and it is perhaps an older value saved in the same way
when I upgraded from an old gnus version to semi-gnus.

I manually edited the .newsrc.eld file and suppressed
the initialization part, but I suppose this is not
the good way of dealing with this problem;
So my question is:
How to upgrade and avoid this problem?

Hubert

* Re: startup file and upgrading
@ 1999-02-08 17:14 ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 1999-02-08 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

hubert.fauque@wanadoo.fr writes:

|   After upgrading to 0.75 (from semi-gnus) I have had
|   a problem: gnus stopped with the error
|   void function: gnus-truncate-string

Thanks for filing this report; I want to do it, too -- but since I found
a work around, I forgot about it.

ke@luna:/usr/share/emacs/20.3/lisp/gnus > grep gnus-truncate-string *.el
gnus-ems.el:    (defalias 'gnus-truncate-string 'truncate-string)

I've put

    (defalias 'gnus-truncate-string 'truncate-string)

into my .emacs (at work, where I'm using a more recent version of
pgnus); of course, I open to a better way to avoid the error message.

AFAI remember me, this error message only happens while entering certain
groups.

--
Karl Eichwalder

* Re: startup file and upgrading
@ 1999-02-09 12:28   ` hubert.fauque
From: hubert.fauque @ 1999-02-09 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

> I've put
>
>     (defalias 'gnus-truncate-string 'truncate-string)
>
> into my .emacs (at work, where I'm using a more recent version of
> pgnus); of course, I open to a better way to avoid the error message.

with this method you are using the old gnus-format-specs
(from an old version of gnus)

> AFAI remember me, this error message only happens while entering certain
> groups.

for groups with headers longer than 20 characters

Hubert