* drafts group bindings do not match manual?
@ 2020-06-06 15:33 Eric S Fraga
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-06 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello all,

when I enter my drafts (nndrafts:drafts) group, the bindings are not
what the manual would suggest.  Specifically, "D" is bound to
gnus-summary-mark-as-read-backward.  Instead of being able to type "D e"
to edit a draft message, I have to type M-x gnus-draft-edit-message
RET...

I'm using gnus from the latest git Emacs, updated a few minutes ago.

Have I done something wrong somewhere?  (not an uncommon event
unfortunately but please bear with me...)

Thank you.
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.7 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: drafts group bindings do not match manual?
@ 2020-06-06 16:13 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2020-06-06 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

On Jun 06 2020, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> when I enter my drafts (nndrafts:drafts) group, the bindings are not
> what the manual would suggest.  Specifically, "D" is bound to
> gnus-summary-mark-as-read-backward.  Instead of being able to type "D e"
> to edit a draft message, I have to type M-x gnus-draft-edit-message
> RET...
>
> I'm using gnus from the latest git Emacs, updated a few minutes ago.

Must to be a recent regression, worksforme with 27.0.91.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: drafts group bindings do not match manual?
@ 2020-06-06 16:19 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-06-06 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

> Hello all,
>
> when I enter my drafts (nndrafts:drafts) group, the bindings are not
> what the manual would suggest.  Specifically, "D" is bound to
> gnus-summary-mark-as-read-backward.  Instead of being able to type "D e"
> to edit a draft message, I have to type M-x gnus-draft-edit-message
> RET...
>
> I'm using gnus from the latest git Emacs, updated a few minutes ago.
>
> Have I done something wrong somewhere?  (not an uncommon event
> unfortunately but please bear with me...)

I've always just hit "e", I didn't know "D e" was supposed to work.
But it does work here, sorry...

* Re: drafts group bindings do not match manual?
@ 2020-06-06 16:27   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-06 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Saturday,  6 Jun 2020 at 18:13, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Must to be a recent regression, worksforme with 27.0.91.

Thank you.  Used to work for me as well and I don't think I've changed
anything in my own configuration.  I do think it's a recent regression
in Emacs.  I track it but only update every few weeks.

--

@ 2020-06-06 16:28   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-06 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Saturday,  6 Jun 2020 at 09:19, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I've always just hit "e", I didn't know "D e" was supposed to work.
> But it does work here, sorry...

I also used to use "e" but that stopped working.  That's how I found out
about "D e" (and other D commands).

It really looks like gnus is treating the drafts group like any other
group now whereas it is meant to be special (and hence have different
bindings).

May have to go look at the code, I guess!

Thank you.
--

@ 2020-06-06 18:36     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-06-06 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

> On Saturday,  6 Jun 2020 at 09:19, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> I've always just hit "e", I didn't know "D e" was supposed to work.
>> But it does work here, sorry...
>
> I also used to use "e" but that stopped working.  That's how I found out
> about "D e" (and other D commands).
>
> It really looks like gnus is treating the drafts group like any other
> group now whereas it is meant to be special (and hence have different
> bindings).
>
> May have to go look at the code, I guess!

First thing would be to check that gnus-draft-mode is among the minor
modes active in your draft group, and that, if you do "G p" on the draft
group in your *Groups* buffer, you see:

((gnus-dummy
  (gnus-draft-mode)))

* Re: drafts group bindings do not match manual?
@ 2020-06-06 19:37       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-06 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Saturday,  6 Jun 2020 at 11:36, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> First thing would be to check that gnus-draft-mode is among the minor
> modes active in your draft group, and that, if you do "G p" on the draft
> group in your *Groups* buffer, you see:
>
> ((gnus-dummy
>   (gnus-draft-mode)))

I should have said that I did check G p and in fact deleted the drafts
group so that it would be re-created (which it was), just in
case.  "Gnus Draft" is one of the minor modes.  But the key bindings are
being overridden somehow.

I did check gnus-*.el to see what changes had been made in the past few
months but nothing jumps out.

Only conclusion I can make is that it is something in my configuration,
maybe just key bindings somehow.  Will check hooks etc.

Thanks all for feedback as at least I know where to look.

--

@ 2020-06-08  8:45         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-08  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Saturday,  6 Jun 2020 at 20:37, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Thanks all for feedback as at least I know where to look.

Quick update: no luck.  I've looked everywhere in my configuration (both
Emacs generally and gnus specifically) and have not found anything that
would affect gnus setting up the Draft mode bindings.  I'll keep looking
as I must have missed something... but at least it's not a deal breaker
as the functionality is still there obviously, just not bound to the
keys as was.

--

@ 2020-06-08 15:15           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-06-08 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

> On Saturday,  6 Jun 2020 at 20:37, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> Thanks all for feedback as at least I know where to look.
>
> Quick update: no luck.  I've looked everywhere in my configuration (both
> Emacs generally and gnus specifically) and have not found anything that
> would affect gnus setting up the Draft mode bindings.  I'll keep looking
> as I must have missed something... but at least it's not a deal breaker
> as the functionality is still there obviously, just not bound to the
> keys as was.

If all the proper modes are active, you might take a look at the
(elisp) Searching Keymaps part of the manual -- that shows you all the
variables and overrides that might be intercepting keybindings. Looks
tedious to search through, but I can't think of anything else :)

* Re: drafts group bindings do not match manual?
@ 2020-06-08 15:23             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-08 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday,  8 Jun 2020 at 08:15, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> If all the proper modes are active, you might take a look at the
> (elisp) Searching Keymaps part of the manual -- that shows you all the
> variables and overrides that might be intercepting keybindings. Looks
> tedious to search through, but I can't think of anything else :)

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll have a look.

The thing that confuses me is that the bindings that are "intercepted"
(for want of a better word) are intercepted by gnus itself.  To be more
precise, the bindings are exactly as I would expect in a normal gnus
group.  Although Draft mode is enabled, the bindings for that minor mode
are not.  Hopefully the search mentioned above will help.

Thanks again,
eric

--

@ 2020-06-08 16:10           ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2020-06-08 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

On Jun 08 2020, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Quick update: no luck.  I've looked everywhere in my configuration (both
> Emacs generally and gnus specifically) and have not found anything that
> would affect gnus setting up the Draft mode bindings.  I'll keep looking
> as I must have missed something... but at least it's not a deal breaker
> as the functionality is still there obviously, just not bound to the
> keys as was.

Just use C-h b (describe-bindings) to see the active mode bindings.

Andreas.

--

@ 2020-06-08 19:36             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-08 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday,  8 Jun 2020 at 18:10, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Just use C-h b (describe-bindings) to see the active mode bindings.

Thank you.  But it's not that I don't know the bindings; it's that the
key bindings are not what they should be.

Going into the draft group should set the Draft minor mode bindings but
they are not being set.  They used to be.  The minor mode is there
(visible in C-h m).  The key bindings remain as they would be for any
normal group.  The drafts group has the right parameters settings
(visible via G p).  Puzzling behaviour...

--

@ 2020-06-08 20:14               ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2020-06-08 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

On Jun 08 2020, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> On Monday,  8 Jun 2020 at 18:10, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> Just use C-h b (describe-bindings) to see the active mode bindings.
>
> Thank you.  But it's not that I don't know the bindings; it's that the
> key bindings are not what they should be.

But that's exactly what C-h b will tell you, where the bindings are
being shadowed.

Andreas.

--

@ 2020-06-09  9:58                 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-09  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday,  8 Jun 2020 at 22:14, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> But that's exactly what C-h b will tell you, where the bindings are
> being shadowed.

Thank you.  I thought C-h m would show the same.

In any case, C-h b shows no bindings at all for the gnus draft minor
mode.  All the evidence points to the draft minor mode being applied but
the bindings not.  I have no idea what could cause this behaviour.

--

@ 2020-06-11 20:17 ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2020-06-11 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

> Hello all,
>
> when I enter my drafts (nndrafts:drafts) group, the bindings are
> not
> what the manual would suggest.  Specifically, "D" is bound to
> gnus-summary-mark-as-read-backward.  Instead of being able to
> type "D e"
> to edit a draft message, I have to type M-x
> gnus-draft-edit-message
> RET...
>
> I'm using gnus from the latest git Emacs, updated a few minutes
> ago.
>
> Have I done something wrong somewhere?  (not an uncommon event
> unfortunately but please bear with me...)
>
> Thank you.

There's a bit in the manual advising that, if this particular
thing happens where the drafts group loses its bindings, the
solution is supposed to be killing the drafts group (C-k) and
restarting gnus - did this have no effect?

--
David Rogers

* Re: drafts group bindings do not match manual?
@ 2020-06-12  9:43   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-12  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thursday, 11 Jun 2020 at 13:17, David Rogers wrote:
> There's a bit in the manual advising that, if this particular thing
> happens where the drafts group loses its bindings, the solution is
> supposed to be killing the drafts group (C-k) and restarting gnus -
> did this have no effect?

Thanks for this suggestion.  I had tried this already.  It did recreate
my drafts group and the settings were the same as what I had before.  No
effect.

I continue to investigate but have gotten no further!  Quite
interesting.

Thanks again,
eric
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.7 on Debian bullseye/sid