* how to line-wrap?
@ 2014-07-22  6:18 Sharon Kimble
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-07-22  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Yesterday I had to do some major surgery on my ".newsrc-dribble" as two
sites that I get an RSS feed from were online but timing out all the
time, and this was stopping me from starting gnus. I did the surgery by
renaming ".newsrc-dribble" and starting anew with a blank one. Once I
had doctored the old one by deleting the problematic RSS feeds from the
file, I re-instated it and started gnus with no problems. Except, now
*every* email that I am receiving is not line-wrapping at 68 characters
but is going to the window borders, and in some cases its going beyond
them!

I have this in my .gnus file
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
(lambda ()
  (setq fill-column 68)
  (turn-on-auto-fill)))

What else should I do please to regain sensible line-wrapping?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: how to line-wrap?
@ 2014-07-22  7:09 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2014-07-22  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble writes:

> Yesterday I had to do some major surgery on my ".newsrc-dribble" as two
> sites that I get an RSS feed from were online but timing out all the
> time, and this was stopping me from starting gnus.

Just FYI, there is `gnus-no-server' for starting gnus without trying to
connect to any server.

--
Alberto

* Re: how to line-wrap?
@ 2014-07-22  7:14 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-07-22  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Yesterday I had to do some major surgery on my ".newsrc-dribble" as two
> sites that I get an RSS feed from were online but timing out all the
> time, and this was stopping me from starting gnus. I did the surgery by
> renaming ".newsrc-dribble" and starting anew with a blank one. Once I
> had doctored the old one by deleting the problematic RSS feeds from the
> file, I re-instated it and started gnus with no problems. Except, now
> *every* email that I am receiving is not line-wrapping at 68 characters
> but is going to the window borders, and in some cases its going beyond
> them!
>
> I have this in my .gnus file
>
> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
> (lambda ()
>   (setq fill-column 68)
>   (turn-on-auto-fill)))
>
> What else should I do please to regain sensible line-wrapping?
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.

I have no idea why messing with newsrc-dribble would affect this, but my
guess is you may have changed the value of one of these variables:

‘gnus-treat-fill-article’
‘gnus-treat-fill-long-lines’

Can you show us their value?

The message-mode-hook would only affect the outgoing message you
compose, not the display of received messages.

Eric

* Re: how to line-wrap?
@ 2014-07-22 16:27   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-07-22 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> Yesterday I had to do some major surgery on my ".newsrc-dribble" as two
>> sites that I get an RSS feed from were online but timing out all the
>> time, and this was stopping me from starting gnus. I did the surgery by
>> renaming ".newsrc-dribble" and starting anew with a blank one. Once I
>> had doctored the old one by deleting the problematic RSS feeds from the
>> file, I re-instated it and started gnus with no problems. Except, now
>> *every* email that I am receiving is not line-wrapping at 68 characters
>> but is going to the window borders, and in some cases its going beyond
>> them!
>>
>> I have this in my .gnus file
>>
>> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
>> (lambda ()
>>   (setq fill-column 68)
>>   (turn-on-auto-fill)))
>>
>> What else should I do please to regain sensible line-wrapping?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharon.
>
> I have no idea why messing with newsrc-dribble would affect this, but my
> guess is you may have changed the value of one of these variables:
>
> ‘gnus-treat-fill-article’
> ‘gnus-treat-fill-long-lines’
>
> Can you show us their value?
>
> The message-mode-hook would only affect the outgoing message you
> compose, not the display of received messages.

Thanks for this Eric.

The answers are -
gnus-treat-fill-article = nil
gnus-treat-fill-long-lines = (typep "text/plain")

@ 2014-07-22 21:22 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-07-22 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

Hi Sharon,

> I have this in my .gnus file
>
> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
> (lambda ()
>   (setq fill-column 68)
>   (turn-on-auto-fill)))

message-mode is the mode to write emails/newsgroup postings in, so it
has nothing to do with how articles are formatted that you're receiving.

> What else should I do please to regain sensible line-wrapping?

You can wrap the current viewed article by typing `W w' in either the
summary or the article buffer.

,----[ W w ]
| W w runs the command gnus-article-fill-cited-article (found in
| gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp
| function in `gnus-cite.el'.
|
| It is bound to W w, <menu-bar> <Article> <Washing> <Word wrap>.
|
| (gnus-article-fill-cited-article &optional WIDTH LONG-LINES)
|
| Do word wrapping in the current article.
| If WIDTH (the numerical prefix), use that text width when
| filling.  If LONG-LINES, only fill sections that have lines
| longer than the frame width.
`----

However, that wrapping was performed automatically before swapping your
.newsrc-dribble and now isn't anymore is really strange.

Bye,
Tassilo

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: how to line-wrap?
@ 2014-07-22 21:55   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-07-22 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
> Hi Sharon,
>
>> I have this in my .gnus file
>>
>> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
>> (lambda ()
>>   (setq fill-column 68)
>>   (turn-on-auto-fill)))
>
> message-mode is the mode to write emails/newsgroup postings in, so it
> has nothing to do with how articles are formatted that you're receiving.
>
>> What else should I do please to regain sensible line-wrapping?
>
> You can wrap the current viewed article by typing `W w' in either the
> summary or the article buffer.
>
> ,----[ W w ]
> | W w runs the command gnus-article-fill-cited-article (found in
> | gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp
> | function in `gnus-cite.el'.
> |
> | It is bound to W w, <menu-bar> <Article> <Washing> <Word wrap>.
> |
> | (gnus-article-fill-cited-article &optional WIDTH LONG-LINES)
> |
> | Do word wrapping in the current article.
> | If WIDTH (the numerical prefix), use that text width when
> | filling.  If LONG-LINES, only fill sections that have lines
> | longer than the frame width.
> `----

Thanks for this Tassilo, but what can I put in my .gnus so that every
message that I receive is auto-magically wrapped?

@ 2014-07-23  7:53     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-07-23  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

Hi Sharon,

>> ,----[ W w ]
>> | W w runs the command gnus-article-fill-cited-article (found in
>> | gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp
>> | function in `gnus-cite.el'.
>> |
>> | It is bound to W w, <menu-bar> <Article> <Washing> <Word wrap>.
>> |
>> | (gnus-article-fill-cited-article &optional WIDTH LONG-LINES)
>> |
>> | Do word wrapping in the current article.
>> | If WIDTH (the numerical prefix), use that text width when
>> | filling.  If LONG-LINES, only fill sections that have lines
>> | longer than the frame width.
>> `----
>
> Thanks for this Tassilo, but what can I put in my .gnus so that every
> message that I receive is auto-magically wrapped?

I think, this might do the trick (but I haven't tried it):

  (setq gnus-treat-fill-article t)

And it might break, e.g., ASCII art images, someone has in his mail.

Bye,
Tassilo

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: how to line-wrap?
@ 2014-07-24 14:04       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-07-24 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
> Hi Sharon,
>
>>> ,----[ W w ]

>>> `----
>> Thanks for this Tassilo, but what can I put in my .gnus so that
>> every message that I receive is auto-magically wrapped?
>
> I think, this might do the trick (but I haven't tried it):
>
>   (setq gnus-treat-fill-article t)
>
> And it might break, e.g., ASCII art images, someone has in his mail.

Thanks Tassilo.

This works but breaks "boxquote-regions" and any "source-code blocks"
unless enclosed with -

I've tried using "W w" on these regions or messages, but I'm not able
to toggle it.

Is it possible for it to be re-written so that it could be used as a
"toggle-command" please?

@ 2014-07-25  6:42         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-07-25  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: ding